Algebra II: Direct/Inverse Variation & Translation Help

• Thread starter gcn_zelda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, The conversation is about a student asking for help understanding Direct and Inverse Variation and Translation in math problems. The first problem is about identifying the relationship between x and y values, with the given answer being "direct" variation. The second problem involves translating a function to fit given asymptotes, with the solution being y= 2/(x-a)+ b. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the definitions of Direct and Inverse Variation, as well as the concept of translating a graph.
gcn_zelda
I have a test Friday, and there are a few things that I don't understand. Here are a few examples so you know the context

1. Direct/Inverse Variation - Identify as Direct or Inverse Variation
A. x|-2| 4| 6|
y| 4|-8|-12|

B. x| -2|-1| 3|
y|-1/2|-1|1/3|

2. Translation - Write an equation for the translation of y=2/x with the give asymptotes
x = 2; y = 3

Could somebody explain these to me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The goal of the first question is to identify the relationship between the given x and y values. For the first one you have

y = -2x

Can you see the relationship in the second set of numbers?

Sorry, no time for the 2nd question now.

I saw the relationship between the numbers, but how do I know whether it's Direct Variation or Inverse Variation?

A direct relationship is defined by y = kx where k is a constant and an inverse relationship is y = k/x.

Does that help? :smile:

Originally posted by gcn_zelda
I saw the relationship between the numbers, but how do I know whether it's Direct Variation or Inverse Variation?

It helps a heckuva lot to know what Direct Variation and Inverse Variation mean! It would be a good idea to actually right down the definitions while you are doing these problems.

In x|-2| 4| 6|
y| 4|-8|-12|

I see that when x changes from -2 to 4 (x is multiplied by -2) y changes from 4 to -8: y is also multiplied by -2. As confirmation, when x changes from -2 to 6 (multiplied by -3), y changes from 4 to -12: also multiplied by -3. x and y change in the same way: "direct" variation

For the second problem,
x| -2 |-1| 3 |
y|-1/2|-1|1/3|

I see that when x changes from -2 to -1 (x is multiplied by 1/2), y changes from -1/2 to -1 (y is multiplied by 2: 1 over (1/2)). As confirmation, I see that when x changes from -1 to 3 (x is multiplied by -3), y changes from -1 to 1/3 (y is multiplied by -1/3). In each case y is multiplied by the reciprocal or "inverse" of the number x is multiplied by. That is "inverse" variation.

y= 2/x has vertical asymptote x= 0 for x very close to 0, the fraction "blows up". It has horizontal asymptote y= 0 since for x very large (positive or negative) y will be very close to 0. (Those are thing you would be expected to know before doing a problem like this.)

You want to "translate" the function y= 2/x so that it will have asymptotes x= 2 and y= 3. You "translate" a graph by adding or subtracting a number to or from x and y. To translate right or left (move the vertical asymptote from x= 0 to x= 2) add or subtract something from x. Specifically, you want something like y= 2/(x-a). Remember that x=0 was an asymptote of y= 2/x because that made the denominator 0. What value of a makes the denominator of y= 2/(x-a) equal to 0?
To move the horizontal asyptote from y= 0 to y= 3 add or subtract something from the y value: You now have y= 2/(x-a) (you found the correct value of a above) and y still will be close to 0 for x very large. What value of b makes y= 2/(x-a)+ b equal to 3 when x is very large?

1. What is direct variation in Algebra II?

Direct variation is a relationship between two variables where the ratio of their values remains constant. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases by a fixed amount.

2. Can you give an example of direct variation?

An example of direct variation would be the relationship between the number of hours worked and the amount of money earned. As the number of hours worked increases, the amount of money earned also increases at a constant rate.

3. What is inverse variation in Algebra II?

Inverse variation is a relationship between two variables where the product of their values remains constant. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases by a fixed amount.

4. Can you provide an example of inverse variation?

An example of inverse variation would be the relationship between the speed of a car and the time it takes to travel a certain distance. As the car's speed increases, the time it takes to travel that distance decreases at a constant rate.

5. How do translations work in Algebra II?

In Algebra II, translations involve moving a graph or equation horizontally or vertically. This is done by adding or subtracting a constant value to the x or y coordinates of the points on the graph or in the equation.