1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra II stuff

1. Feb 25, 2004 #1
    I have a test Friday, and there are a few things that I don't understand. Here are a few examples so you know the context

1. Direct/Inverse Variation - Identify as Direct or Inverse Variation
    A. x|-2| 4| 6|
    y| 4|-8|-12|

B. x| -2|-1| 3|
    y|-1/2|-1|1/3|

2. Translation - Write an equation for the translation of y=2/x with the give asymptotes
    x = 2; y = 3

Could somebody explain these to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The goal of the first question is to identify the relationship between the given x and y values. For the first one you have

y = -2x

Can you see the relationship in the second set of numbers?

Sorry, no time for the 2nd question now.

4. Feb 25, 2004 #3
    I saw the relationship between the numbers, but how do I know whether it's Direct Variation or Inverse Variation?

5. Feb 25, 2004 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A direct relationship is defined by y = kx where k is a constant and an inverse relationship is y = k/x.

Does that help? :smile:

6. Feb 26, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It helps a heckuva lot to know what Direct Variation and Inverse Variation mean! It would be a good idea to actually right down the definitions while you are doing these problems.

In x|-2| 4| 6|
    y| 4|-8|-12|

I see that when x changes from -2 to 4 (x is multiplied by -2) y changes from 4 to -8: y is also multiplied by -2. As confirmation, when x changes from -2 to 6 (multiplied by -3), y changes from 4 to -12: also multiplied by -3. x and y change in the same way: "direct" variation

For the second problem,
    x| -2 |-1| 3 |
    y|-1/2|-1|1/3|

I see that when x changes from -2 to -1 (x is multiplied by 1/2), y changes from -1/2 to -1 (y is multiplied by 2: 1 over (1/2)). As confirmation, I see that when x changes from -1 to 3 (x is multiplied by -3), y changes from -1 to 1/3 (y is multiplied by -1/3). In each case y is multiplied by the reciprocal or "inverse" of the number x is multiplied by. That is "inverse" variation.

y= 2/x has vertical asymptote x= 0 for x very close to 0, the fraction "blows up". It has horizontal asymptote y= 0 since for x very large (positive or negative) y will be very close to 0. (Those are thing you would be expected to know before doing a problem like this.)

You want to "translate" the function y= 2/x so that it will have asymptotes x= 2 and y= 3. You "translate" a graph by adding or subtracting a number to or from x and y. To translate right or left (move the vertical asymptote from x= 0 to x= 2) add or subtract something from x. Specifically, you want something like y= 2/(x-a). Remember that x=0 was an asymptote of y= 2/x because that made the denominator 0. What value of a makes the denominator of y= 2/(x-a) equal to 0?
    To move the horizontal asyptote from y= 0 to y= 3 add or subtract something from the y value: You now have y= 2/(x-a) (you found the correct value of a above) and y still will be close to 0 for x very large. What value of b makes y= 2/(x-a)+ b equal to 3 when x is very large?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook