Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Algebra in standard form!

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    I need help with this question... someone please help?

Determine the equation of the line perpindicular to 4x-2y+7=0 and having the same y-intercept 2x+3y-10=0

It would be great if you can help me out in this question!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know the slopes and y-intercepts of the two equations you gave?
    (Hint: put them in standard form, (either y = mx + b or Ax + By = C), from the standards forms you can easily determine the slope and intercept, look in your text).

For the slope of the pendendicular line, the two lines will be related by a transformation of their slope. You can use this reference for some ideas on how to do that.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    can you please work out the question for me... i do not understand what your trying to tell me? I am not very good at math either, if u are generous enough to provide the steps, and not the answers - it would help me understand..

ex. Step #1:

Forula: (y2-y1)/2+(x2-x1)/2 *(1,5) and (-1,6)

then i will work out it, then tell me how to step 2 .. this will be very useful.. thank you!!

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

This is another time you have asked for formulas that you can use mindlessly. It would be a lot better to try to understand what you are doing.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook