Algebra in the complex plane

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Solve each equation for z=a+ib
[itex] z^{*2}=4z [/itex]
where z* is the complex conjugate

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote z and z* in terms of x and iy , and tried solving for x and y, but I get quartic terms for y, it doesnt look like it will boil down, It was like over 2 pages of algera, I dont think that is how it is supposed to be done, I tired some alternative forms of the modulus and it didnt go anywhere, Are my approaches the right way, or do I need some clever substitution, or can it be solved with Eulers formula ?

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

[itex] z^{*2}=4z [/itex]

I wrote z and z* in terms of x and iy , and tried solving for x and y, but I get quartic terms for y, it doesnt look like it will boil down, It was like over 2 pages of algera, I dont think that is how it is supposed to be done, I tired some alternative forms of the modulus and it didnt go anywhere, Are my approaches the right way, or do I need some clever substitution, or can it be solved with Eulers formula ?

Show us the equations in x and y that you actually get. What you are claiming sounds wrong to me.

Homework Statement

[itex] z^{*2}=4z [/itex]

If z = a + bi, then ##\bar{z} = a - bi##
If I substitute these into the given equation, I don't get a quartic, but I do get a solution fairly quickly. Please show what you did.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I would automatically use the polar form here.

oh ok I think I got it
sub in x+iy and x-iy
then equate real and imaginary
Real = [itex] x^2+y^2=4x [/itex]
Im = [itex] -2xy=4y [/itex]
I solved for x then put it in the other equation, then I solved for y,
and I got the answer in the back of the book, thanks for your posts