Solve Inequality: Algebraic Proof of a<b<c<1/12

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining an upper bound for the product of fractions, using a given inequality and showing that ##P_1^3 < P_1P_2P_3##.
Lizu
hi! i need help for this inequality
1. ##a\in\mathbb{N}*~and~ \frac{a}{a+1}<\frac{a+1}{a+2}<\frac{a+2}{a+3}##
show that : ##\frac{1}{2}*\frac{4}{5}*...*\frac{2005}{2006}*\frac{2008}{2009}<\frac{1}{12}##

Here i have stoped. Please tell me if is corect what i have done so far and how to continue , or another idea to solve
salut.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Use your inequality to obtain an upper bound for [itex]P_1^3[/itex].

Likes Lizu
Hello Lizu, :welcome:

Good start. Except the last factors: P1 last one is ##{2008\over 2009} ## etc.
Make it so that your P1 is the product you are after
You can still show ##\ \ P_1P_2 P_3 = {1\over 2011}\ \ ## and ##\ \ P_1<P_2<P_3 \ \ ##.

So if you can show ##P_1^3 < P_1P_2P_3## you are in business !

[edit] ah, PA was faster. Nice exercise !

Likes Lizu
Thank you !

1. What is an inequality in algebra?

An inequality in algebra is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is less than or greater than the other.

2. How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you must isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and leave the constants on the other side. Remember to perform the same operation on both sides of the inequality to maintain its balance.

3. What is an algebraic proof?

An algebraic proof is a method of using algebraic properties and equations to show that a statement or equation is true. It involves using logical steps and transformations to manipulate equations and arrive at a solution.

4. How do you use an algebraic proof to solve an inequality?

To use an algebraic proof to solve an inequality, you must show that the steps you take to manipulate the inequality maintain its truth. This can involve using properties of inequalities, such as the addition or multiplication property, to transform the inequality into a simpler form.

5. Can you give an example of solving an inequality using algebraic proof?

Yes, for example, to solve the inequality a < 3, we can add 2 to both sides of the inequality, giving us a + 2 < 3 + 2. This simplifies to a + 2 < 5. We have now shown that if a is less than 3, then a + 2 is less than 5, thus proving the original inequality to be true.