Solving Inequalities with Integers

In summary, the conversation is discussing an inequality problem and determining the value of x that satisfies two equations. The value of x is found to be between 2 and 4. There is no specific formula, but the process involves isolating the variable and understanding the relationship between > and < signs.
vaironl

Homework Statement

For what integer value of X is 3x+5> 11 and x-3 <1?

Physics news on Phys.org
well this is a maths ques

but anyway

from eqns.

x > 2 and x <4

so x = ?

cupid.callin said:
well this is a maths ques

but anyway

from eqns.

x > 2 and x <4

so x = ?
Think you would be able to give me more solid details, i really never done this before or forgot. ( I'm paying the consequences ) So could i get the formula? or some examples,
Thanks

There's no formula

for eqn 1

take 5 to other side
3x > 11-5
3x > 6
x = 6/3
x > 2

can you do eqn 2 now?

i understand the take 5 and 3 to the other side but i just don't get much, Just forget it i know i will still be confuse and i will keep asking questions. Thanks for the help

do remember that > and < is nearly same as = but in =

if a=b ... b=a

but if a>b ,,, you can't just exchange alphabets ... b>a is wrong ...but its b<a

same with < sign

and ... a>b ... multiply -1 on both sides ... -a<-b

hope it hepls

1. What is an integer?

An integer is a whole number, either positive or negative, that does not have a fractional or decimal component. Examples of integers include -3, 0, and 5.

2. What is the value of x in algebra?

The value of x in algebra is a variable that can represent a number or quantity in an equation or expression. It is often used to solve for unknown values and can take on different values depending on the context of the problem.

3. How do you solve for the integer value of x?

To solve for the integer value of x, you need to isolate x on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. For example, if the equation is 2x + 5 = 15, you would first subtract 5 from both sides, resulting in 2x = 10. Then, you would divide both sides by 2, giving you the value of x as 5.

4. What is an example of an algebra problem involving the integer value of x?

An example of an algebra problem involving the integer value of x is: 3x + 8 = 20. To solve for x, you would first subtract 8 from both sides, resulting in 3x = 12. Then, you would divide both sides by 3, giving you the value of x as 4.

5. Why is it important to find the integer value of x in algebra?

Finding the integer value of x in algebra is important because it allows us to solve for unknown quantities and understand the relationships between different variables in an equation. It also helps us to make predictions and solve real-world problems involving numbers and equations.