1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra: Laws of Logs

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1
    I need to solve for t and it's slipped my mind how to manipulate this.

[tex]\frac{1}{4}=te^{-8t}[/tex]

to

[tex]ln(1/4)=lnt-8t[/tex]

I understand the laws of logs (I think), but I still can't seem to isolate the t.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2009 #2
  4. Aug 2, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Well, you could also prove that there isn't any value of t that satifies that equation. It's pretty simple using derivatives . . .

Proof: Consider the function f defined such that f(t) = exp(8t) - 4t. Clearly, if for some value t0 we have that f(t0) = 0 then 4-1 = t0exp(-8t0). Now, we need only prove that there is no value t0 with this property.

From the definition of f(t) we certainly have that f '(t) = 8exp(8t) - 4. Since f '(t) is defined for all real numbers, the only critical points can occur when f '(t0) = 8exp(8t0) - 4 = 0 => t0 = - ln(2)/8. Since f '(t) < f '(t0 for t < t0 and f '(t) > f '(t0 for t > t0, we know that f(t0) is an absolute minimum. However, because f(- ln(2)/8) = 2-1(1 + ln(2)) > 0, there is no value t0 such that 4-1 = t0exp(-8t0). Q.E.D.

5. Aug 3, 2009 #4
    I think I can express the derivative in terms of the inverse function in terms of itself f(y)=t

[tex]f(te^{-8t})=t[/tex]

Differentiating both sides:

[tex]f'(te^{-8t})\left(e^{-8t}-8te^{-8t}\right)=1[/tex]

[tex]f'(te^{-8t})=\frac{1}{e^{-8t}-8te^{-8t}}[/tex]

[tex]f'(y)=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{f(y)}y-8y}[/tex]

Which might have some potential for numeric algorithms or evaluating the power series.

Lets try a big more. At the point you are are interested in y=1/4

[tex]f'(1/4)=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{t}(1/4)-8(1/4)}[/tex]

[tex]f'(1/4)=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{t}(1/4)-2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{t}(1/4)-2=\frac{1}{f'(1/4)}[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{\frac{1}{f'(1/4)}+2}[/tex]

Not sure if this helps at all.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  6. Aug 3, 2009 #5
  7. Aug 3, 2009 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

That's somewhat hard to read, I'm not sure what exactly you did.

I was thinking of something like : f'(x) = 0 at x=1/8 only , f''( 1/8) < 0, hence f( 1/8) is a max. Evaluating, it is clearly less than 1/4.

8. Aug 3, 2009 #7

jgens

Gold Member

Well, here's a revised edition of the proof. I'm new to LaTeX so it doesn't look very neat . . .

Statement: [tex](\forall t)(t \in \mathbb {R})\left (\frac{t}{e^{8t}} \neq \frac{1}{4} \right )[/tex]

Proof: Consider the function [tex]f[/tex] defined such that [tex]f(t) = e^{8t} - 4t[/tex]. From the definition of [tex]f[/tex], if for some [tex]t = t_{0}[/tex] we have that [tex]f(t_{0}) = 0[/tex], then

[tex]\frac{t_{0}}{e^{8t_{0}}} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]​

Now, consider the first derivative of [tex]f[/tex] so that [tex]f '(t) = 8e^{8t} - 4[/tex]. Since [tex]f '[/tex] is defined [tex]\forall t \in \mathbb {R}[/tex], the only critical points can occur when [tex]f '(t_{0}) = 0[/tex]. Solving for the critical points, we find that [tex]e^{8t_{0}} = 1/2[/tex]. Since [tex]e^{8t} > 0[/tex], we don't lose any solutions when taking the logarithm base [tex]e[/tex] of the previous functions, therefore [tex]t_{0} = - ln(2)/8[/tex]. Using a similar method, we can show that [tex]f '(t) < 0[/tex] if [tex]t < t_0[/tex] and similarly [tex]f '(t) > 0[/tex] if [tex]t > t_0[/tex]. This proves that [tex]f(t_0)[/tex] is an absolute minimum. However,

[tex]f(t_0) = e^{-ln(2)} + \frac{ln(2)}{2} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{ln(2)}{2} = \frac{1}{2}(1 + ln(2)) > 0[/tex]​

which proves that there is no value of [tex]t[/tex] such that [tex]f(t) = 0[/tex].

So, I don't think that there's any need to invoke the lambert W function or power series, just really simple calculus. :)

9. Aug 3, 2009 #8
    Complex solutions exist. The formula is not elementary, but can be written using the Lambert W function. t = -W(-2)/8 . One value is about -0.02160200035 - 0.2092108018 i

10. Aug 4, 2009 #9
    It should be [tex]f(t) = e^{-8t} - 4t[/tex]. which pretty much invalidates the rest of your post.

11. Aug 4, 2009 #10
    Cool, thanks. :) I worked this out on wikipedia and got the same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook