Algebra Manipulation Homework: Finding Emax and Vmax in Mass-Density Equation

In summary, the homework equation states that mass is equal to A*thickness*density. The attempted solution is to find M by adding AdD. The final question is whether or not the equation is practical because it cannot store enough energy.
Chewy0087

Homework Statement

sorry for another one of these threads...hopefully after this one i won't have to bug anyone else xS

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions_test/tests08.pdf

page 6 - Question 23 - ONLY HELP WITH THE SECOND HALF I NEED, the 'SHOW THAT...' BIT IS FINE

Homework Equations

mass = A * thickness * density

The Attempt at a Solution

this is simply more of a checking thing, I know i should have more confidence and stuff and i know i find these threads annoying but i'd really appreciate just some confirmation that i have indeed got it right!

basically I did M = AdD (with m bieng mass and D bieng density)
rearranged to get d = [tex]\frac{M}{AD}[/tex]

Which i put in the Vmax equation giving me; Vmax = [tex]\frac{BM}{AD}[/tex]

I then proceeded to put that V max and d figures into the main equation giving me;

Emax = [tex]\frac{pA^2B^2M^2}{2mA^2D^2}[/tex] which i canceled to give me Emax = [tex]\frac{pB^2m}{2D}[/tex] is this correct? :F

the reason why I worry is that I put the numbers they give into the equation to give me;

Emax = [tex]\frac{2 * 10^-11 * 4 * 10^14}{2*10^3}[/tex] which cancels to give only 4J...

if that is correct what would that imply for the final question about it's practicality? i guess it would not be practical because it cannot store enough energy?

thanks for the help again guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chewy0087 said:

Homework Statement

sorry for another one of these threads...hopefully after this one i won't have to bug anyone else xS

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions_test/tests08.pdf

page 6

Homework Equations

mass = A * thickness * density

The Attempt at a Solution

this is simply more of a checking thing, I know i should have more confidence and stuff and i know i find these threads annoying but i'd really appreciate just some confirmation that i have indeed got it right!

basically I did M = AdD (with m bieng mass and D bieng density)
rearranged to get d = [tex]\frac{M}{Ad}[/tex]
Is this problem 23? That's the only one on p. 6 that seems remotely close to what you've written above. In your first equation you say that D is density, but what is d? In your rearrangement, you have not solved for d (whatever it represents), since there is a d factor still on the right side. Did you mean to write D instead of d? If you were solving for D, the new equation would be D = M/(Ad). Or if you were solving for d, the new equation would be d = M/(AD).
Chewy0087 said:
Which i put in the Vmax equation giving me; Vmax = [tex]\frac{BM}{Ad}[/tex]

I then proceeded to put that V max and d figures into the main equation giving me;

Emax = [tex]\frac{pA^2B^2M^2}{2mA^2D^2}[/tex] which i canceled to give me Emax = [tex]\frac{pB^2m}{2D}[/tex] is this correct? :F

the reason why I worry is that I put the numbers they give into the equation to give me;

Emax = [tex]\frac{2 * 10^-11 * 4 * 10^14}{2*10^3}[/tex] which cancels to give only 4J...

if that is correct what would that imply for the final question about it's practicality? i guess it would not be practical because it cannot store enough energy?

thanks for the help again guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah it was capital D i meant, I've cleared it up a bit now

1. What is the purpose of finding Emax and Vmax in the mass-density equation?

The purpose of finding Emax and Vmax in the mass-density equation is to determine the maximum energy and maximum velocity of a particle, based on its mass and density. This information can be useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How do you manipulate the algebraic equation to solve for Emax and Vmax?

To solve for Emax and Vmax in the mass-density equation, you can use algebraic manipulation techniques such as combining like terms, factoring, and isolating the variable of interest. It is important to follow the order of operations and use appropriate algebraic rules to ensure an accurate solution.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for Emax and Vmax?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for Emax and Vmax include incorrect use of algebraic rules, forgetting to distribute negative signs, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and use a calculator to ensure accurate solutions.

4. How can I check if my solution for Emax and Vmax is correct?

You can check your solution for Emax and Vmax by plugging the values back into the original equation and solving for both sides. If the values are equal, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and see if the maximum energy and velocity make sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can the mass-density equation be used in real-life situations?

Yes, the mass-density equation can be applied to real-life situations, especially in the fields of physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the maximum energy and velocity of a rocket, or to determine the maximum weight a bridge can support based on its dimensions and material density.