1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra - modules

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[SOLVED] Algebra - modules

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm reading this proof from D&F and there's something I dont get. It is theorem 1 of chapter 12 on modules over principal ideal domains. The theorem is the following

"Let R be a ring and let M be a left R-module. Then,

(Ever nonempty set of submodules of M contains a maximal element under inclusion) ==> (Every submodule of M is finitely generated)"

The authors prove this assertion by letting N be a submodule of M and denoting S the collection of all finitely generated submodules of N. The hypothesis guarantees the existence of a maximal element N' of S, and we'd be happy if N'=N. So suppose N' is different from N and consider an element x in N\N'. Then the submodule of N generated by {x}uN' is finitely generated, thus violating the maximality of N'.

3. The attempt at a solution

How is this so? Notice that R is not assumed to have a 1. So there is nothing I can see that guarantees that N' is contained, let alone properly contained, in <{x}uN'>.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?