Algebra problem -symmetry group

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses finding invariant subspaces to prove that the group S_2, represented by operators I and P, is fully reducible. The approach suggested is to consider eigenvectors of P with equal x and y coordinates, which span \mathbb{R}^2 and are also invariant under the action of P. The subspaces V_1 and V_2 are defined using these eigenvectors and it is shown that they are also invariant under the action of S_2. The conversation also recommends books on group theory for further study.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I have a group of permutations [tex]S_2[/tex], which is represented with operators {I, P} that mirror the plane [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] around x=y line. I have to show that this group is fully reducible by constructing invariant subspaces that span [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] that is:
[tex]\mathbb{R}^2=V_1\oplus V_2[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to find these subspaces :\ Since I have [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] I could represent that by (x,y) all points, and then try with that, but I'm completely lost :\ Any recommendation what book to look?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I have experience with group theory and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

First, let's define the group S_2 as the group of reflections in the x=y line in \mathbb{R}^2. This group has two elements: the identity element I, which leaves all points unchanged, and the reflection P, which swaps the x and y coordinates of all points.

To show that this group is fully reducible, we need to find two invariant subspaces V_1 and V_2 that span \mathbb{R}^2 and are also invariant under the action of S_2.

One way to find these subspaces is to consider the eigenvectors of the reflection operator P. Since P swaps the x and y coordinates, its eigenvectors will be vectors with equal x and y coordinates. These vectors will be invariant under the action of P, meaning that when we reflect them, they will remain unchanged.

So, let's take the eigenvectors (1,1) and (1,-1). These vectors span \mathbb{R}^2 and are also invariant under the action of P. Therefore, we can define V_1 as the subspace spanned by (1,1) and V_2 as the subspace spanned by (1,-1).

Now, to show that these subspaces are also invariant under the action of S_2, we need to show that I and P leave these subspaces unchanged. This is easy to see, since I leaves all points unchanged and P simply swaps the coordinates, which does not affect the span of these subspaces.

Therefore, we have shown that \mathbb{R}^2 can be decomposed into two invariant subspaces V_1 and V_2, which span \mathbb{R}^2 and are also invariant under the action of S_2. This proves that the group S_2 is fully reducible.

I hope this helps! If you need more help or clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. I would also recommend looking into books on group theory, such as "Group Theory" by M.A. Armstrong or "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote.

1. What is an algebra problem involving symmetry group?

An algebra problem involving symmetry group is a mathematical problem that involves determining the symmetries of a given object or structure. This can involve finding the number of ways the object can be rotated, reflected, or translated without changing its appearance.

2. Why is symmetry group important in algebra?

Symmetry group is important in algebra because it allows us to better understand and describe patterns and structures. It also has many practical applications, such as in chemistry, physics, and computer graphics.

3. How do you approach solving an algebra problem involving symmetry group?

To solve an algebra problem involving symmetry group, you first need to identify the object or structure and the type of symmetry it possesses. Then, you can use algebraic techniques, such as group theory and linear algebra, to determine the symmetries and solve the problem.

4. Can symmetry group be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, symmetry group can be applied to real-life situations. For example, it can be used to analyze the symmetries of molecules in chemistry, study the symmetries of crystals in materials science, or design symmetrical patterns in architecture and art.

5. Are there any recommended resources for learning about algebra problems involving symmetry group?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about algebra problems involving symmetry group. Some recommended resources include textbooks on abstract algebra, online courses, and educational websites that provide interactive examples and practice problems.