Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra problem

1. Apr 17, 2003 #1
    Hi following a link on another thread I began to read On The Electrodynamics Of Moving Bodies

[​IMG]

should equal

[​IMG]

but I end up with a minus instead of a plus between the two fractions(in the last equation).

I've gone through my calculations but I cannot see where I've gone wrong.

I could post my working out if neccessary but it might be hard to read in this format

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you got this far on the coefficient of [pard]&tau/[pard]t

(1/2) * (1/(c-v) - (1/c+v))

Collecting fractions:

(1/2) * ((c+v) - (c-v)) / ((c-v)*(c+v))
    (1/2) * (2v) / (c^2 - v^2)
    v / (c^2 - v^2)

Hurkyl

(edit: fixed tags)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2003
  4. Apr 17, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's almost impossible to catch your own error and the sillier the error is the harder it is to find it!

In the first formula you have 1/(c-v)+ 1/(c+v) on one side. You get common denominators, of course, and have ((c+v)+(c-v))/(c^2- v^2)= 2c/(c^2- v^2) which is then multiplied by 1/2: c/(c^2- v^2)

On the other side of the same formula you have 1/(c-v). Subtracting c/(c^2- v^2) from both sides: 1/(c-v)-c/(c^2- v^2)= c/(c^2-v^2)- (c+v)/(c^2-v^2)= v/(c^2- v^2).

Did you move the fraction to the wrong side?

5. Apr 17, 2003 #4
    After I got c/(c^2- v^2) on left side I moved the
    1/(c-v)over to isolate [pard]T/[pard]x over on the right then
    removed [pard]T/[pard]t from the brackets to get the fraction v/(c^2- v^2).

I them moved the whole lot across to put it equal to zero

6. Apr 17, 2003 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not sure if this addresses you exact problem, but you may find it smooths your way to the final DE.

7. Apr 22, 2003 #6
    Ok that PDF works it out a different way but, even now, things don't look right

From the bottom of the second page

We have "Now recombining the RHS and LHS we have:"

1/2 ((1/c+v)+(1/c-v))[pard]T/[pard]t = [pard]T/[pard]x +(1/c+v)([pard]T/[pard]t)

Right, fine and dandy

BUT, when I collate the terms I get:

1/2((1/c-v)-(1/c-v)([pard]T/[pard]t)=[pard]T/[pard]x

NOT

1/2((1/c+v)-(1/c-v)([pard]T/[pard]t)=[pard]T/[pard]x

So when it comes to multiple both sides with -1 I still get a sign discrepancy :frown:

I'm going to start to cry real soon...

8. Apr 22, 2003 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am getting the same result as you, let me look at this to see if I can sort out what happened. It has been a year since I wrote that PDF up, so I need to take some time to get back into the material.

9. Apr 22, 2003 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, since I could not find an obvious error in my PDF, I went back to the source. There is where I found MY error. Compare my RHS to Einstein's in my starting equaition. You will see that I have a 1/(c+v) where he has a 1/(c-v). If you replace my RHS term with the correct one it all comes out in the end. Since I worked all this out on paper then transcriped to MS Word editor and PDF, I will claim it as a typo.

My apology, and thanks all at the same time. I have posted that PDF several times, here and other places over the past year. It looks like someone finally read it!

10. Apr 23, 2003 #9
    Alleluia

I thought I was going mad.

It's a good paper, I bet lots of people read it but I bet they rarely actually follow the math.

Thanks again.

11. Apr 23, 2003 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have posted a corrected PDF, the link above should now connect to a PDF that does not have the error discovered in this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?