Solving Algebra Problems with Symmetric Groups and Sylow Subgroups

• Thread starter buzzmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to group theory. The first problem involves finding the number of conjugates of a given element in the symmetric group of degree n, and determining the form of elements that commute with this element. The second problem asks to prove that the 11-Sylow subgroup of a group of order 231 is in the center of the group. The person speaking believes they have solved the second problem by showing that the 11-Sylow subgroup is normal and therefore in the center of the group, but is still struggling with the first problem.
buzzmath
Can anyone help me with these problems?

1. Find the number of conjugates of (1,2)(3,4) in Sn (the symmetric group of degree n) where n >= 4 and find the form of all elements commuting with (1,2)(3,4)in Sn.

2.If G is a group of order 231, prove that the 11-Sylow subgroup is in the center of G.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured #2 out by saying that 1 is the only number congruent to 1 mod 11 and that divides 231 therefore the 11-sylow subgroup, N, is normal so xN=Nx for all x in G. Therefore N is in the center of G. I think this works but problem #1 is giving me a lot of trouble.

1. What is an algebra problem?

An algebra problem is a mathematical question that involves using variables, numbers, and mathematical operations to find a solution.

2. How do I solve an algebra problem?

To solve an algebra problem, you need to follow certain steps. First, identify the given information and the unknown variable. Then, use algebraic equations and operations to isolate the variable and find its value.

3. What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be used to manipulate equations and solve algebra problems.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve algebra problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve algebra problems, but it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem manually.

5. How can algebra be applied in real life?

Algebra can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the cost of items on sale, determining the best deal when purchasing multiple items, and solving problems related to time, distance, and speed.