1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Problem

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    A problem in my textbook shows
    25/9(20-y)^2 = 144+(20-y)^2
    Then the very next step shows

Maybe its just me, but I can't seem to figure out the algebra behind this step in the problem, any ideas on where to start? I thought about subtracting/dividing the (20-y)^2 from the right side, but that seems to be getting me nowhere.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(20-y)^2=(9/9)(20-y)^2. You just need a common denominator.
  4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    Thanks, not sure why but I didn't even thing about the 9 being in the denominator in the first term. Probably because of the way it was written.
  5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, the main reason why students overlook this sort of thing, is that they don't consider an expression like (20-y)^2 as JUST ANOTHER NUMBER, but as something far more etheral and mysterious.
  6. Oct 5, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If it was actually written 25/9(20-y)^2 in your book then I can see your confusion. What you give means
    but you might confuse it with
    I can see no good reason for not using the "clear" form in a printed text book.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?