1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra problem

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    first of all forgive me for the writing of this as i dont have any programs to properly write it up, shouldnt be some hard for some of you wizz kids out there just dont see how to get from one line to the next to help would be much apprichiated (y - 1)/(y+2) = +or- ke3/4x4 then the next line is y=(2Ke3/4x4 +1)/1-Ke3/4x4

where k is an unknown constant, thanks again in advance for a step by step guide through

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you write
    [tex]\frac{y - 1}{y + 2} = \frac{y + 2 - 3}{y + 2} = \frac{y + 2}{y + 2} - \frac{3}{y + 2}[/tex]
    there's only one y left.

And don't worry, it's perfectly readable.

4. Jul 22, 2008 #3
    dont i then get similar problems getting the y back with that 1 hanging arround, like when i multiply through? thanks for the help so far tho i can see where its going now just need another little push lol

5. Jul 22, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't multiply through, you invert.
    If you have
    [tex]\frac{a}{b} = c = \frac{c}{1}[/tex]
    then also
    [tex]\frac{b}{a} = \frac{1}{c}[/tex]
    (provided neither a nor c is zero).

Of course, c needn't be just a number, it could also be, say, [itex]c = 1 + k e^{-3/4 x^4}[/itex], if you get what I mean :tongue:

6. Jul 22, 2008 #5
    chears bud i owe u one dam resits doing my head in making enough at poker to earn like £100k a year but want a dam degree incase the industry goes tits up

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?