How do I solve this algebra problem with unknown constant k?

• Thread starter franky2727
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving an unknown constant, k. The solution involves inverting and manipulating fractions. The speaker also mentions their future plans and aspirations.
franky2727
first of all forgive me for the writing of this as i don't have any programs to properly write it up, shouldn't be some hard for some of you wizz kids out there just don't see how to get from one line to the next to help would be much apprichiated (y - 1)/(y+2) = +or- ke3/4x4 then the next line is y=(2Ke3/4x4 +1)/1-Ke3/4x4

where k is an unknown constant, thanks again in advance for a step by step guide through

Physics news on Phys.org
If you write
[tex]\frac{y - 1}{y + 2} = \frac{y + 2 - 3}{y + 2} = \frac{y + 2}{y + 2} - \frac{3}{y + 2}[/tex]
there's only one y left.

And don't worry, it's perfectly readable.

dont i then get similar problems getting the y back with that 1 hanging arround, like when i multiply through? thanks for the help so far tho i can see where its going now just need another little push lol

You don't multiply through, you invert.
If you have
[tex]\frac{a}{b} = c = \frac{c}{1}[/tex]
then also
[tex]\frac{b}{a} = \frac{1}{c}[/tex]
(provided neither a nor c is zero).

Of course, c needn't be just a number, it could also be, say, [itex]c = 1 + k e^{-3/4 x^4}[/itex], if you get what I mean :tongue:

chears bud i owe u one dam resits doing my head in making enough at poker to earn like £100k a year but want a dam degree incase the industry goes tits up

1. What is Algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and describe relationships between variables.

2. Why is Algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps us solve real-world problems, make predictions, and understand patterns and relationships in the world around us. It is also a foundational concept for higher level math courses and other fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the basic operations in Algebra?

The basic operations in Algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to manipulate equations and solve for unknown variables.

4. How do you solve an Algebra problem?

To solve an Algebra problem, you need to first identify the unknown variable and the given information. Then, use the rules of Algebra to manipulate the equations and isolate the unknown variable on one side of the equal sign. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. Can Algebra be used in real life?

Yes, Algebra can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating expenses, determining optimal solutions, and making predictions. It is also used in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to model and solve complex problems.