Solving a Maple Mystery: Why Does x=root(x^2+1)/x=.5root(2+root(20))?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in Maple where the solution involves finding the value of x in an equation involving square roots. The solution is reached by squaring both sides and solving for x, using a substitution along the way. The final answer is x = ± √(0.5 + √1.25).
fredrick08

Homework Statement

can someone please tell me why maple says that x=root(x^2+1)/x=.5root(2+root(20))??

ive tried trig and rearranging, but i have idea why this is so..

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you got a value stored into the variable x?

EDIT: Oh i think i may have misinterpreted the problem.

Heres some working:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8552/algebra.gif

Probably is a quicker way, but these are the steps i took.

Last edited by a moderator:
fredrick08 said:

Homework Statement

can someone please tell me why maple says that x=root(x^2+1)/x=.5root(2+root(20))??

ive tried trig and rearranging, but i have idea why this is so..

Square both sides, and you get a quadratic in x2. Solve.

[tex]\begin{align*}
x &= \frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x} \\
\intertext{Hence}
x^2 &= \sqrt{x^2 + 1} \\
x^4 &= x^2 + 1 \\
x^2 &= \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2} \\
\intertext{(Must be positive, so dismiss the negative part)}
& = \frac{2 + \sqrt{20}}{4} \\
\intertext{Hence}
x & = \pm 0.5 \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{20}} \\
&= \pm \sqrt{0.5 + \sqrt{1.25}}
\end{align*}[/tex]​

thankyou very much, I am still unsure how you get from x^4 to x^2=2+root(20)/4.. but i know its right so thx

He uses a substitution p=x^2 and then solves p with the ABC formula.

ok yes thankyou

1. How do you solve the equation x=root(x^2+1)/x=.5root(2+root(20))?

To solve this equation, we can first square both sides to get rid of the roots. This gives us x^2 = x^2 + 1 / 4 (2 + root(20)). Simplifying further, we get x^2 = x^2 + 1/2 + 1/4root(20). Since x^2 is on both sides, it cancels out and we are left with 1/2 + 1/4root(20) = 0. Solving for root(20), we get root(20) = -2. Since a negative number cannot be a root, this equation has no solution.

2. How can you use Maple to help solve this equation?

Maple is a powerful mathematical software that can help us solve complex equations like this one. We can use Maple's algebraic manipulation capabilities to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable. We can also use Maple's numerical solvers to approximate the solution if one exists.

3. Can this equation be solved using traditional algebraic methods?

As we have seen in the first question, this equation does not have a solution. However, even if it did have a solution, it would be difficult to solve using traditional algebraic methods due to the presence of roots and fractions. This is where Maple's computational power comes in handy.

4. What does the equation x=root(x^2+1)/x=.5root(2+root(20)) represent?

This equation is an example of a Maple mystery, where the solution is not immediately obvious. It represents a mathematical relationship between the unknown variable x and the constants 1, 2, and 20. The presence of the roots and fractions makes it difficult to interpret the equation in a traditional sense.

5. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Since we have established that this equation has no solution, it cannot have multiple solutions. However, if we were to modify the equation slightly, it could potentially have multiple solutions. In general, equations with multiple roots or solutions can be solved using Maple's numerical methods to find all possible solutions.