1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra proof.

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    Hello,
    I am just going to post question i have tried it yet.. only because i dont understand the question.. so if you could help me read the question that would be good.. and if you wanna give a hint feel free..

If p does not equal 2, 3 is prime, show that p = 1 or p = 5 in [tex] Z_6 [/tex] (mod 6)

ok what i dont understand is.. is the question saying that p does not also equal 3.. or is it just telling me that 3 is a prime.. cause that obvious..
    or is it saying p does not equal 3 but its prime.. im not sure.. so i cant really go any further.. thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

I think it would mean that p is a prime other than 2 or 3.

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

this seems ok (this is not a proof by any means,) but for p=5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29,31 it works. so It seems that our interpetation of the hypothesis on p is correct.

5. Feb 8, 2006 #4
    awsome..thats what i was thinking to.. thanks!

6. Feb 9, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question just means "if p is a prime not equal to 2 or 3". Exactly what it says. It says nothing about what 2 or 3 are at all, primes or not.

If we were to remove the requirement that p not be 2 or 3 then the statement would read: suppose p is a prime, show p is congruent to 1 or 5 mod 6. And that would be false since there are two primes that are not congruent to 1 or 5 mod 6. However all primes except 2 and 3 are congruent to 1 or 5 mod 6. now let's prove it...

I don't see why this meant you couldn't go further. the question was specifically not about the primes 2 or 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?