1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra proof!

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1
    Prove: If V is a finite dimensional vector space and T is in L(V), then there exists a finite list of scalars ao,a1,a2,.....,an, not all 0 such that

aoX + a1T x + a2T^2 x..... + anT^n x = theata

for all x in V
    my hint for the question is:
    the powers of T are defined as T^0 = I, T^1 = 1, T^2 = TT, T^3 = T^2T
    consider the sequence I, T, T^2, T3,..... in the finite-dimensional vector space L(V).

please help, have have no clue what to do. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"theata"? Do you mean the 0 vector? If that is the case then saying
    aoX + a1T x + a2T^2 x..... + anT^n x = 0 with not all a0,a1,... zero is the same as saying that {x, Tx, T^2x, T^3x, ..., T^n x} are linearly dependent.

Suppose all of {x, Tx, T^x, ..., T^n x} were distinct for n larger than the dimension of T. What does that say about the linear independence of the set? On the other hand, suppose T^k x= T^j x for some k and j. What does THAT say about the linear independence of the set?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?