Solve Algebra Question: Simplifying Radical Expressions

• Thread starter spynjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discussed a mathematical problem involving simplifying fractions with square roots. The solution involved multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator to eliminate the radicals. The conversation also mentioned the use of the "difference of two squares" method and the importance of understanding the connection between solving problems in different ways.
spynjr
Hi all

I've been stumped on a basic question.

Show that:

[tex] \frac{{\sqrt x - \sqrt a }}{{x - a}} = \frac{1}{{\sqrt x + \sqrt a }} [/tex]

I've tried removing the radical sign, bringing the denominator up, etc...

Help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'll post the answer below, but I strongly advise you not look and give it more shots unless your really low on time.

Hint: multiply by some form of one.

Answer: multiply by x^1/2 -a^1/2/x^1/2 -a^1/2 (which is one)

Thanks for that. I did try that but couldn't get sqrt(x) + sqrt(a) as the denominator.

I can see that it's correct numerically though.

Is that a general algebraic rule or can you get to it algebraically?

BIG HINT: Multiply the right-side by 1 (look back to post #2).

Maybe you could not read through the text straight-line-text form of the expression. See as
[tex] \[
\frac{{\sqrt x - \sqrt a }}{{\sqrt x - \sqrt a }}
\]
[/tex]

Hmm, I see that, but don't know how you get to sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)

Nonetheless I've figured out the way that makes most sense to me. Simply factor x-a which equals (sqrt(x)-sqrt(a))(sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)) (difference of two squares) then cancel (sqrt(x)-sqrt(a))

spynjr said:
Hmm, I see that, but don't know how you get to sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)

Nonetheless I've figured out the way that makes most sense to me. Simply factor x-a which equals (sqrt(x)-sqrt(a))(sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)) (difference of two squares) then cancel (sqrt(x)-sqrt(a))

Well done: that's the way I would do it!

Howers said:
I'll post the answer below, but I strongly advise you not look and give it more shots unless your really low on time.

Hint: multiply by some form of one.

Answer: multiply by x^1/2 -a^1/2/x^1/2 -a^1/2 (which is one)
Woops, change those minus to plus haha.

Unlessn you apply it to the RH =P
Conjugates.

Brother to equal R.H.S with L.H.S please follow the pic given in attachment.

Attachments

• q.png
    q.png
    14 KB · Views: 359
In case you think "I can follow the calculation but how ever did they think of doing it that way?" the more usual problem set (in exercises for the purpose, but also in real mathematical necessity is to do it the other way round, to get from your right hand side to the left. To get rid of surds in a denominator. You have probably done exercises like that so realize the connection. You will also meet or may already have a similar trick for getting rid of imaginaries in a denominator.

'Difference of two squares' is maybe a refrain to remember.

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and represent mathematical relationships.

2. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps us understand and solve real-life problems, from calculating the cost of a purchase to predicting the trajectory of a rocket. It also lays the foundation for more advanced math courses.

3. What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to manipulate and simplify algebraic expressions and solve equations.

4. What are variables and constants in algebra?

Variables are symbols used to represent unknown quantities in algebraic expressions and equations. Constants, on the other hand, are fixed numerical values that do not change.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills?

Practice is key to improving your algebra skills. Make sure you have a good understanding of the basics and solve as many problems as you can. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources to supplement your learning.