1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra question

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    determine where the graph of the function f(x) = (x-4)/(x^2-7) has a horizontal tangent line.

2. Relevant equationsused quotient rule. factored and simplified

3. The attempt at a solutioncame up with ((x^2-7)-(2x^2-8x))/(x^2-7)^2
    then set to 0, and came up with -x^2-8x-7=0
    then to find the points where the graph has a horizontal tan line, i came up with 2 situations: -(x+7)(x+1) = -7, -1; or (-x-7)(x+1) = 7, -1. which one is right, and did i do the rest of it correctly/

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2
    Have you learned limits? And do you have any rough idea how the equation of a horizontal tangent line looks like?

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    yeah, i have learned limits, and i'm going to guess a horizontal tangent line is located wherever the slope is 0. i have seen too many of those equations though.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4
    ok then since you know what limits are, it makes life much easier.

Then somewhere you might have learned that a function has a horizontl line if any of the following is the case

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow- \infty}f(x)=a;\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}f(x)=a[/tex] where a is any constant, and f is your given function.

then y=a is your horizontal tangent line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?