Algebra Simplification: Solving for X with Conjugates

• Thread starter Axecutioner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the problem at hand is to simplify the x equation as much as possible while keeping the y equation unchanged. The z equation is a failed attempt at further simplification. The last line is a check to see if any of the equations (x, y, and z) are equal. The suggested solution is to stick with the x equation and rewrite it as x=\frac{\sqrt{\frac{A}{B}}(\sqrt{\sin^{2}\theta-\frac{C\sqrt{B}}{\sqrt{A}}})+\sin\theta}{B}. However, this does not simplify the equation to just (A/B)^.5.
Axecutioner
Problem:
[PLAIN]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1020/gahr.png
I need to simplify the x equation as far as I can, the y equation is x multiplied by it's conjugate, and the z equation is a failed attempt at further simplification. The last line is me checking which of the 3 (x, y, and z) equations are equal.

Basically, I need to take the y equation, keep not change the y at all, and get the other side simplified as much as I can.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first off:
I don't see how "y" is a simplification of "x", or that the corrected "z" would simplify anything.

Stick instead with your "x" formula, and you may rewrite this, if not simplifying, as:
[tex]x=\frac{\sqrt{\frac{A}{B}}(\sqrt{\sin^{2}\theta-\frac{C\sqrt{B}}{\sqrt{A}}})+\sin\theta}{B}[/tex]

This should also tell you where you went wrong in your "z"-expression.

Thanks, that looks better. But uh...

Plug in the numbers I did in my x equation and you get 0.8164965809...
(2/3)^.5 = 0.8164965809...

So somehow my x equation simplifies to just (A/B)^.5

Well, it doesn't.

For example, with your "x"-expression, setting C=theta=0 makes x=0, rather than equal to the square root of A/B

1. What is algebra simplification?

Algebra simplification is the process of reducing or simplifying algebraic expressions to their simplest form. This is done by combining like terms, using the distributive property, and applying the rules of exponents.

2. Why is it important to simplify algebraic expressions?

Simplifying algebraic expressions allows us to solve equations and perform operations more easily. It also helps us to better understand the underlying structure of an expression and identify patterns.

3. How do I simplify algebraic expressions?

To simplify an algebraic expression, start by combining like terms. Then use the distributive property to remove parentheses. Finally, apply the rules of exponents to simplify any terms with exponents.

4. Can I use algebra simplification to solve equations?

Yes, algebra simplification is often used to solve equations. By simplifying an equation, we can isolate the variable and solve for its value.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying complicated algebraic expressions?

Yes, there are some tips that can make simplifying algebraic expressions easier. These include identifying and combining like terms, using the distributive property, and breaking down the expression into smaller parts. It can also be helpful to practice simplifying expressions regularly to improve your skills.