Can the Algebra Theorem Prove That xy = yx in Group G?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving commutativity of a group by showing that the product of two elements in the group must commute with the inverse of one of those elements. The center of the group is defined as the set of elements that commute with everything, and it is possible for a group to be centerless. The conversation also touches on the existence of a unique element "e" in a group that satisfies the group axioms, and how it is related to the center of the group.
javedansari
If x and y be elements in a group G such that xy ε Z(G)

prove that xy = yx..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you are trying to prove commutativity of a group? Well... Let
##xy \in G## since it must be a obey closure of a group. now, since the product of two elements are in a group let there exist an element ##e## such that ## xy= e##, since we are assuming the existing of an element ##e## we should show that this object is "unique" so we set ## yc=e## where ##c \in G## we can now show that, ##xy=yxe## this is clearly true since ##\forall x \in G[xe=x]## is true, clearly ##xy=yx(yc)## using a little bit associativity and hypothesis we get ##xy=y(xy)c \implies xy=yc = e## thus establishing that ##\forall x,y \in G [xy=e \implies yx=e]## since those elements are the same,do the math .

Here is a better one
suppose that the a member ##x \in G## such that ##xx=e## is true, then ##xe=ex=e## furthermore we can show that ##x(xx)=(xx)x=e \implies (xx)x =x(xx) =e## by substitution and associativity it becomes ## ex=xe=e## much easier.

Last edited:
javedansari said:
If x and y be elements in a group G such that xy ε Z(G)

prove that xy = yx..

The center of the group is those elements that commute with everything.

In particular, xy must commute with x^-1

Not that x and y do not need to be in the center of the group. Can you construct an example?

Tenshou said:
So you are trying to prove commutativity of a group? Well... Let
##xy \in G## since it must be a obey closure of a group. now, since the product of two elements are in a group let there exist an element ##e## such that ## xy= e##, since we are assuming the existing of an element ##e## we should show that this object is "unique" so we set ## yc=e## where ##c \in G## we can now show that, ##xy=yxe## this is clearly true since ##\forall x \in G[xe=x]## is true, clearly ##xy=yx(yc)## using a little bit associativity and hypothesis we get ##xy=y(xy)c \implies xy=yc = e## thus establishing that ##\forall x,y \in G [xy=e \implies yx=e]## since those elements are the same,do the math .

Here is a better one
suppose that the a member ##x \in G## such that ##xx=e## is true, then ##xe=ex=x## furthermore we can show that ##x(xx)=(xx)x=x \implies (xx)x =x(xx) =x## by substitution and associativity it becomes ## ex=xe=x## much easier.

I really fail to see how this has anything to do with the problem in the OP. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't give answers on subjects you are not qualified in.

lavinia said:
The center of the group is those elements that commute with everything.

In particular, xy must commute with x^-1

Not that x and y do not need to be in the center of the group. Can you construct an example?
So, if xy doesn't commute with x inverse what would happen to Z(G) would this product not be in the center?

micromass said:
I would appreciate it if you wouldn't give answers on subjects you are not qualified in.

What do you mean? He said prove it, and that was my attempt at it. Did I prove it wrong?

Tenshou said:
So, if xy doesn't commute with x inverse what would happen to Z(G) would this product not be in the center?

Try to figure this out. It isn't difficult.

lavinia said:
Try to figure this out. It isn't difficult.

Sorry I am asking the wrong question. I mean since x and y don't need to be in the center of the group, then why does the product need to be in the center? I mean the group could be centerless, right?

No, in any group at least the group identity commutes with all elements. So the "center of the group" consists of at least the identity. In this case, xy is in the center because it is given as the hypothesis of the problem. Sorry, but I can't make heads or tails out of your post #2. You start by arguing that xy must be something, and call it "e". But then state [itex]\forall x \in G [xe= x][/itex], assuming that e is the identity. That makes no sense at all!

HallsofIvy said:
No, in any group at least the group identity commutes with all elements. So the "center of the group" consists of at least the identity. In this case, xy is in the center because it is given as the hypothesis of the problem. Sorry, but I can't make heads or tails out of your post #2. You start by arguing that xy must be something, and call it "e". But then state [itex]\forall x \in G [xe= x][/itex], assuming that e is the identity. That makes no sense at all!

Well, maybe you are right I should have proved [itex]\forall x \in G [xe= x][/itex] before trying to just assume it. >.< okay, I should have made it a little more obvious. And by centerless I mean that it has only the identity in the center. Can I try again >.< ... in the morning when I can think a little clearer?... but since it is a trivial proof I will show this, so taking a step back from the center of the group and prove that there really does exist this element "e" in G such that the axioms of a group hold.

It is true that if there does exist this element "e" and it god given since the axioms of a Group hold, mainly associativity, the existence of inverse and the identity element "e" so the triple of ##(G, \times, e) ##is a group ##\times : G \to G##, it is known that we can take an subset in G mainly Z(G) and call this the center, this center will be seen to be trivial subset of G. when I wake up. Is this good enough Ivy :3 I must redeem myself!

Oh yeah! the last part is just assuming that x is an inverse of its self. I don't know... maybe it didn't have any relevancy to xy = yx, but it did iff x=y which is... ?

Tenshou: This was Javedansari's question. You have sort of railroaded the thread. I do that too sometimes but usually only when enough hints have been given or the poster has not replied for a couple of days.

And it's not like your posts are getting any clearer or more justified. My recommendation is to try work things out by yourself and if you get stuck, ask questions that are specific to what you wish to know without giving too much away.

But actually, a much stronger recommendation from me is to study your school math instead. Focusing on this higher level stuff is a mistake when we know that there are things more important to know that you must learn.

Now, can we wait for Javedansari to respond? Thanks.

verty said:
Tenshou: This was Javedansari's question. You have sort of railroaded the thread. I do that too sometimes but usually only when enough hints have been given or the poster has not replied for a couple of days.

And it's not like your posts are getting any clearer or more justified. My recommendation is to try work things out by yourself and if you get stuck, ask questions that are specific to what you wish to know without giving too much away.

But actually, a much stronger recommendation from me is to study your school math instead. Focusing on this higher level stuff is a mistake when we know that there are things more important to know that you must learn.

Now, can we wait for Javedansari to respond? Thanks.
He just made the thread today :/ I wanted to solve this it didn't seem to difficult I mean I have done it before, just without having this proper(or not) subgroup in there. And I didn't understand what I was doing wrong, and when this question popped up I thought I would try it out and see if I can get some critiques on what I did wrong. And maybe what I could possibly do better.

Tenshou said:
He just made the thread today :/ I wanted to solve this it didn't seem to difficult I mean I have done it before, just without having this proper(or not) subgroup in there. And I didn't understand what I was doing wrong, and when this question popped up I thought I would try it out and see if I can get some critiques on what I did wrong. And maybe what I could possibly do better.

This thread was made by javedansari, so it is meant to help him out and to help him solve the problem. This thread is not meant for you to try it out and get help. If you want to try things out and get critiques, fair enough, but then you'll need to make your own thread.

So please, do not hijack threads anymore, but rather create your own thread.

Tenshou said:
Sorry I am asking the wrong question. I mean since x and y don't need to be in the center of the group, then why does the product need to be in the center? I mean the group could be centerless, right?

the product may not be in the center. But in some cases it might.

A good idea is to construct examples of groups out of low dimensional matrices that are orthogonal transformations and whose entries are zero, one, or minus one.

Take a look ,for instance, at the group generated by these 2x2 matrices.

1 0
0 -1

and

0 -1
1 0

micromass said:
So please, do not hijack threads anymore, but rather create your own thread.

Understood

1. What is the Algebra theorem?

The Algebra theorem is a mathematical law or rule that proves the validity of algebraic equations and manipulations. It is the foundation of algebra and is used to solve complex equations and problems.

2. What are the main types of Algebra theorem?

The main types of Algebra theorem include the distributive property, associative property, commutative property, and the inverse property. These theorems help to simplify and solve equations by manipulating the terms and operations.

3. How is the Algebra theorem used in real life?

The Algebra theorem is used in various real-life scenarios such as calculating distances, determining the value of investments, predicting future outcomes, and solving engineering problems. It is also used in fields such as physics, economics, and statistics.

4. Can you provide an example of the Algebra theorem in action?

One example of the Algebra theorem in action is the distributive property. For instance, when expanding the expression (x + y)(x + z), the distributive property states that the result will be x(x + z) + y(x + z). This allows us to simplify the equation and solve for x and y.

5. Is the Algebra theorem applicable to all types of equations?

No, the Algebra theorem is only applicable to linear equations, which involve variables raised to the first power. It cannot be applied to equations with variables raised to a higher power, such as quadratic or exponential equations.