What is the Transposition Problem for Algebra?

• Thread starter FaraDazed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: D^2 + d^2}{D^2 - d^2}}) p \\I should have done...f = ({\frac {D^2 + d^2}{D^2 + d^2}}) p \\As you can see I made a really stupid mistake!Thanks for your help.In summary, to make f the subject in the equation {D \over d} = \sqrt{\frac{f + p}{f - p}}, you can use the componendo et dividendo rule to simplify the equation and solve for f. The correct solution is f = \frac{D^2 + d^2}{D^2 - d
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Transpose:

[itex] {D \over d} = \sqrt{\frac{f + p}{f - p}}[/itex]

To make f the subject...

The Attempt at a Solution

This is neither homework or coursework, it was a little challenge set by my math tutor.

To be honest I am lost from the start, can someone just let me know if I am on the right track...

[itex] ({D \over d})^2 = {f + p \over f - p}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems right, manipulate it further and you will get "f" as subject.

Here is an interesting trick you can use. If each side of an equation is a fraction, the numerator plus the denominator divided by the numerator minus the denominator of one side of the equation is equal to the numerator plus the denominator divided by the numerator minus the denominator of the other side of the equation.

OK well I am am getting no where to be honest. Could I use the above rule to help me in this problem?

I don't know if the below is going to help or if i were more on the right tracks before.

[itex]
{D \over d} = \sqrt{\frac{f + p}{f - p}}\\
D(f-p)^2= d\sqrt{f+p}\\

[/itex]

Last edited:
FaraDazed said:
OK well I am am getting no where to be honest. Could I use the above rule to help me in this problem?

I don't know if the below is going to help or if i were more on the right tracks before.

[itex]
{D \over d} = \sqrt{\frac{f + p}{f - p}}\\
D(f-p)^2= d\sqrt{f+p}\\

[/itex]
No.

That doesn't work at all.

FaraDazed said:

Homework Statement

Transpose:

[itex]{D \over d} = \sqrt{\frac{f + p}{f - p}}[/itex]

To make f the subject...

The Attempt at a Solution

This is neither homework or coursework, it was a little challenge set by my math tutor.

To be honest I am lost from the start, can someone just let me know if I am on the right track...

[itex] ({D \over d})^2 = {f + p \over f - p}[/itex]
That's a good first step.

Now, multiply both sides by d2(f-p). You get the same result by "cross multiplying".

Now distribute the D2 and d2.

Continue on ...

^^OK thanks for you help its much appreciated...
So after multiplying both sides as you said, then cancelling out the bits that can be cancelled, am I left with the following...

[itex]
(f-p)D^2 = (f+p)d^2
[/itex]

If so, the only thing, apart from isolating one of those expressions is to do the following (if its correct)

[itex]
fD^2 - pD^2 = fd^2 + pd^2
[/itex]

then could I do...

[itex]
fD^2 = pD^2 + fd^2 + pd^2 \\
fD^2 - fd^2 = pD^2 + pd^2 \\
fD^2 = {d^2 + pD^2 + pd^2 \over f} \\
(fD^2)f = d^2 + pD^2 + pd^2
[/itex]

?

Also a question I have; as the problem asks to make 'f' the subject, would f2=... be ok or does it have to be f = ... ?

Last edited:
I have kept going on the basis the above is right (probably isn't) but anyway...

[itex]
(fD^2)f - pD^2 = d^2 + pd^2 \\
(fD^2)f - D^2 = {d^2 + pd^2 \over p } \\
(fD^2)f - D^2 = d^2 + d^2 \\
(fD^2)f - D^2 = d^4 \\
f^2D^2 - D^2 = d^4 \\
f^2 = d^4
[/itex]

EDIT:

OK thanks very much.

so that's the easy way then?

Does the way I done it make sense though?

Last edited:
Yeah!
But as you said what I have done is the easiest method.

Vineeth T said:
Yeah!
But as you said what I have done is the easiest method.

the last line is it "- p" or should it just be "p" next to the fraction as if it were times by?

Yes! It is that fraction times p.
I have edited it.

FaraDazed said:
^^OK thanks for you help its much appreciated...

So after multiplying both sides as you said, then cancelling out the bits that can be cancelled, am I left with the following...

[itex]
(f-p)D^2 = (f+p)d^2
[/itex]

If so, the only thing, apart from isolating one of those expressions is to do the following (if its correct)

[itex]
fD^2 - pD^2 = fd^2 + pd^2
[/itex]

then could I do...

[itex]
fD^2 = pD^2 + fd^2 + pd^2 \\
fD^2 - fd^2 = pD^2 + pd^2 [/itex]
You are good up to here.

[itex]fD^2 = {d^2 + pD^2 + pd^2 \over f}[/itex]
I can't imagine how you think this is the same! You have added the [itex]d^2[/itex] and divided by f. You can't do that with "[itex]fd^2[/itex]". Since you want to solve for f and already have every instance of "f" on the right side, just factor out f: [itex]f(D^2- d^2)= [/itex]

[itex](fD^2)f = d^2 + pD^2 + pd^2
[/itex]

?

Also a question I have; as the problem asks to make 'f' the subject, would f2=... be ok or does it have to be f = ... ?

HallsofIvy said:
You are good up to here. I can't imagine how you think this is the same! You have added the [itex]d^2[/itex] and divided by f. You can't do that with "[itex]fd^2[/itex]". [/itex]

I can see now why I can do that, I don't know why I thought I could either!

Sorry for bumping this back up but can you check my new solution pleas? I have completely started from fresh and used the componendo et dividendo rule to make it a lot quicker and easier. [itex]
{D \over d } = \sqrt{f+p \over f-p} \\
{D^2 \over d^2} = {f+p \over f-p} \\
{D^2 + d^2 \over D^2 - d^2} = {f \over p } \\
f = ({\frac {D^2 + d^2}{D^2 + d^2}}) p \\
[/itex]

There were go, could anyone check this for me pleas?

Last edited:
FaraDazed said:
I can see now why I can do that, I don't know why I thought I could either!

Sorry for bumping this back up but can you check my new solution pleas? I have completely started from fresh and used the componendo et dividendo rule to make it a lot quicker and easier. [itex]
{D \over d } = \sqrt{f+p \over f-p} \\
{D^2 \over d^2} = {f+p \over f-p} \\
{D^2 + d^2 \over D^2 - d^2} = {f \over p } \\
[/itex]
Above is correct; you have a mistake below.
FaraDazed said:
[itex]f = ({\frac {D^2 + d^2}{D^2 + d^2}}) p \\
[/itex]

There were go, could anyone check this for me pleas?

Mark44 said:
Above is correct; you have a mistake below.

Is it the way it is bracketed and times by p or is it that now it has moved over it should be the sqaure root of it all times by p?

EDIT: Just remembered this solution had already been given by Vieeneth T

FaraDazed said:
Is it the way it is bracketed and times by p or is it that now it has moved over it should be the sqaure root of it all times by p?
No, that has nothing to do with it. Start with where you were correct, and work through the steps for solving for f. It's pretty simple.
FaraDazed said:
EDIT: Just remembered this solution had already been given by Vieeneth T
Since giving complete solutions isn't permitted at this forum, his post has been deleted.

OK I think it was just a typo, I put a + when it should have been a -, if that is the error that was just a typo :)

[itex]
f = ({\frac {D^2 + d^2}{D^2 - d^2}}) p \\
[/itex]

FaraDazed said:
OK I think it was just a typo, I put a + when it should have been a -, if that is the error that was just a typo :)

[itex]
f = ({\frac {D^2 + d^2}{D^2 - d^2}}) p \\
[/itex]
That's better!

1. What is algebra transposition problem?

Algebra transposition problem is a mathematical problem that involves rearranging an equation to solve for a specific variable. It requires using inverse operations to isolate the desired variable on one side of the equation.

2. Why is algebra transposition important?

Algebra transposition helps in solving real-world problems by finding the value of a specific variable. It is also an essential skill for higher level math courses such as calculus and physics.

3. What are the steps involved in solving an algebra transposition problem?

The first step is to identify the variable that needs to be isolated. Then, use inverse operations to move all other terms to the other side of the equation, keeping the isolated variable on one side. Finally, simplify and solve for the variable by performing any necessary arithmetic operations.

4. Can you provide an example of an algebra transposition problem?

Yes, an example of an algebra transposition problem is solving for the value of 'x' in the equation 2x + 5 = 15. The steps involved would be to subtract 5 from both sides to isolate 2x, then divide both sides by 2 to solve for x. The final answer would be x = 5.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in algebra transposition?

The best way to practice algebra transposition is to solve a variety of problems with different levels of difficulty. You can find practice problems online, in textbooks, or work with a tutor to get personalized help. Additionally, it is crucial to master the basic algebraic concepts and properties to effectively solve transposition problems.