Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra1 vs Algebra 2

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    Hi everybody,

I wanted to know what the difference is between algebra 1 and 2.
    The reason I'm asking is because I'm teaching myself mathematics and at moment I'm studying algebra 2 using study books. However, it seems that alot of the material is a repeat of algebra 1.

Greetings,

Shawn

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to understand that "Algebra 1" and "Algebra 2" and not "fields of mathematics", they are names assigned to courses by specific schools. No one can tell you what is the difference between two specific courses except people at the specific school at which they are offered.

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    Algebra 2 is the second attempt of the school system to teach you the material they should have taught properly in Algebra 1. They usually do this under the pretext that the student is not bright enough to absorb all of basic algebra in one year. It's easy to see through the deception, because, as you've noted, the material covered is not all that different.

OK, I'm being a little disingenuous, but I'm not too far off the mark.

5. May 31, 2010 #4
    Actually, the book I'm learning from is called Algebra 2, so it's not really specific to any school.

So do think I should just skip everything I already know and only study the parts I don't know about yet?

6. May 31, 2010 #5
    I'm guessing that the book is a high school type of text book. If not, my comments are far off the mark.

As far as skipping things you know, I see no problem with that, but a quick review never hurts either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook