1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Countability

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fix [tex]n \in[/tex] N, and let [tex]A_n[/tex] be the algebraic numbers obtained as roots of polynomials with integer coefficients that have degree n. Using the fact that every polynomial has a finite number of roots, show that [tex]A_n[/tex] is countable. (For each [tex]m \in[/tex] N, consider the polynomials [tex]a_nx^n + a_n_-_1x^n^-^1 + ... + a_1x + a_0[/tex] that satisfy [tex]\left|a_n\right| + \left|a_n_-_1\right| + ... + \left|a_1\right| + \left|a_0\right| \leq m[/tex].)

By the way, this only deals with real roots. Complex roots are simply negligible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I know a few things, but bringing the big picture together is really messing me up here. For example, I know that the sum of the absolute value of the coefficients for quadratic equations only has a certain number of solutions. So, whatever I elect m to be, there will always be a finite number of solutions. Also, the number of quadratics with coefficients is less than or equal to m: this is also finite. When we multiply this fact times the number of roots, we have the number of roots of a quadratic whose absolute value sums to some value less than or equal to m.

The big problem I have is trying to generalize this statement for all [tex]A_n[/tex]. If anyone has any suggestions, this would be most helpful!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2
    Show...? You forgot to put in the statement.
  4. Feb 6, 2008 #3
    My bad, I just fixed it. I want to show it's countable!
  5. Feb 6, 2008 #4
    This is from Rudin, right? I personally found the hint rather unhelpful.

I remember that the way I did this was to fix n and show that the roots of all nth degree polynomials with integer coefficients forms a countable set. Then to get the roots of all polynomials of finite degree with integer coefficients, you just take a countable union of those sets.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?