Algebraic Countability

In summary, the conversation discusses the algebraic numbers A_n obtained as roots of polynomials with integer coefficients of degree n. By considering the sum of absolute values of the coefficients for polynomials with degree n, it is shown that A_n is countable because there are only a finite number of solutions for each fixed value of m. The problem lies in generalizing this statement for all A_n, but it can be seen that the total number of roots is still finite when m is allowed to approach infinity.
rbzima
I posted this in the Homework/Coursework section, but I really don't consider it that at all because I'm working through this text on my own, and I'm a little stuck on this problem.

Fix [tex]n \in[/tex] N, and let [tex]A_n[/tex] be the algebraic numbers obtained as roots of polynomials with integer coefficients that have degree n. Using the fact that every polynomial has a finite number of roots, show that [tex]A_n[/tex] is countable. (For each [tex]m \in[/tex] N, consider the polynomials [tex]a_nx^n + a_n_-_1x^n^-^1 + ... + a_1x + a_0[/tex] that satisfy [tex]\left|a_n\right| + \left|a_n_-_1\right| + ... + \left|a_1\right| + \left|a_0\right| \leq m[/tex].)

By the way, this only deals with real roots. Complex roots are simply negligible.

So, I know a few things, but bringing the big picture together is really messing me up here. For example, I know that the sum of the absolute value of the coefficients for quadratic equations only has a certain number of solutions. So, whatever I elect m to be, there will always be a finite number of solutions. Also, the number of quadratics with coefficients is less than or equal to m: this is also finite. When we multiply this fact times the number of roots, we have the number of roots of a quadratic whose absolute value sums to some value less than or equal to m.

The big problem I have is trying to generalize this statement for all [tex]A_n[/tex]. If anyone has any suggestions, this would be most helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your description for the quadratic essentially applies for any fixed m, for the specified n. There are only n+1 integer coeficients, so there are only a finite number of possibilites for the sum of abs. values bounded by m. Each polynomial has at most n roots - you can include the complex. Therefore for fixed m the total number of roots for all equations is finite.

You now have a countable sum of finite numbers when you let m -> inf.

1. What is algebraic countability?

Algebraic countability is a mathematical concept that refers to the ability to assign a unique counting number to each element in a set, regardless of the size or complexity of the set.

2. How is algebraic countability different from other forms of countability?

Algebraic countability is different from other forms of countability, such as cardinality, in that it specifically refers to the ability to count using whole numbers and basic arithmetic operations.

3. What is the significance of algebraic countability in mathematics?

Algebraic countability is an important concept in mathematics because it allows for the study of infinite sets and their properties. It also provides a framework for understanding and analyzing the size and complexity of different sets.

4. Can all sets be algebraically countable?

No, not all sets can be algebraically countable. In fact, most infinite sets, such as the real numbers, are not algebraically countable. This means that there is no way to assign a unique counting number to each element in these sets.

5. How is algebraic countability applied in real-world situations?

Algebraic countability has practical applications in fields such as computer science, where it is used for data compression and encryption algorithms. It also has implications in physics, where it is used to study the properties of infinite systems.