1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Division Help

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    I didn't really know where to put this, but I thought I'd post it in General Math. Any way, here's the problem, I'd like it solved step by step, please.

a4 (a to the fourth power) + Oa3 (a to the third power) + 9a2 (a squared) + Oa

divided by:

a2 (a squared) - 3a + 9

Thanks in advance!

Josh

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what is O?

4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

kreil

Gold Member

Weird, you have the same name as me (mine is josh meyer). Anyway, heres the problem:

[tex] \frac{a^4+9a^2}{a^2-3a+9} [/tex]

So we set up long division as you did, with 0's in for all the non-existent powers of x. It's hard to write this out on the site, so I am doing it on paper and describing it step by step:

1. [tex]a^2[/tex] goes in to [tex]a^4[/tex] [tex]a^2[/tex] times, so write [tex]a^2[/tex] above the [tex]9a^2[/tex]

2. Multiply the [tex]a^2-3a+9[/tex] term by that [tex]a^2[/tex] and write all the terms obtained underneath their proper powers (cubics under cubics etc). Then change the signs on all these terms and subtract everything. (you should get [tex]0a^4+3a^3+0a^2[/tex])

3. [tex]a^2[/tex] goes into [tex]3a^3[/tex] [tex]3a[/tex] times, so write this [tex]3a[/tex] above the 0a, multiply the [tex]a^2-3a+9[/tex] term by it, change the signs on these terms, and subtract. You ought to get
    [tex] -9a^2-27a[/tex].

4. [tex]a^2[/tex] goes into [tex]-9a^2[/tex] -9 times, so write this above, multiply everything out, switch signs, and subtract.

so, the answer is [tex]a^2+3a-9[/tex] with a remainder of 81.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?