1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Equation

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    I read in my notes that if you have an algebraic equation of the form:

[tex]0=f(\dot{z},z,u,t)[/tex]

And you find an equilibrium solution, [tex]\dot{z}\equiv 0 [/tex]

Then there exists (J) a function: [tex] z= f(u)[/tex]

Is this always true of an algebraic equation?

An algebraic equation being defined as:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AlgebraicEquation.html

If this is true, could someone show me the proof? (Hopefully its not a big nightmare!)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by "an equilibrium solution"?

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

exactly what he said: z'= 0. He is actually talking, at first, about differential equations:
    [itex]f(z,\dot{z}, u, t)= 0[/itex] is a first order differential equation with [itex]\dot{z}[/itex] the derivative of z, t, I assume, the independent variable, and u a parameter. I don't know why Cyrus refers to that as an "algebraic equation" since the link he gives refers only to polynomial equations with many variables. Perhaps he meant f(z, a, u, t)= 0 ignoring the fact that the second variable was the derivative of the first variable. In that case, of course, the "[itex]\dot{z}= 0[/itex]" is irrelevant and the statement is NOT generally true.

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4
    That's correct, but the order may or may not be first because its really a vector function of variables. What I meant was that suppose the differential equation can be written as an algebraic function [tex]f(\dot{z},z,u,t)[/tex]. Then does that mean the equilibrium solution can be written in the form of u=f(z) ?

z- state variables
    t- time
    u- control inputs
    \dot{z} -time derivative of state variables

6. Oct 13, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If f is a functio of 4 variables (f(z,z',u,t), then "f(z)" makes no sense.

7. Oct 13, 2008 #6
    Sure it does. If \dot{z} is equal to zero, then f(z,z',u,t)=f(z,u,t)

because its an *equilibrium solution, its NOT a function of time, so:

f(z,u,t) = f(z,u) =0

So this means:

f(z,u)=0 or u=f(z)

Now my question is if it is true that f(z,z',u,t) is algebraic from the start, does that mean we can write u=f(z) as an equilibrium solution? Because this means u is specifically a function of z, i.e. I can move all the z's to the RHS and all the u's to the LHS.

What is not clear to me is if it could be mixed in such a way that you cannot separate out u as a function of z all by itself on the RHS. (i.e. explicit vs implicit).

8. Oct 15, 2008 #7
    [tex] f(z,\dot z,u,t) = 0 [/tex] can not be a algebraic equation.
    by definition, algebraic equation can not contains differential terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?