1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Integers

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

if a is an algebraic number satisfying a^3+a+1 = 0 and b is an algebraic number satisfying b^2+b-3 = 0 prove that both a+b and ab are algebraic

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a is root of equation x^3+x+1 = 0 and similarly b, so there exists a x = ab,and also x = a+b. so, ( x- ab)(x - a+b) is the required one.

Its from I N Herstein's Topics in Algebra 5.1.13

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

( x- ab)(x - a+b) is the required one what? It may be a polynomial that has x=ab as a root. But to show ab is algebraic you have to find a polynomial with integer coefficients that has ab as a root.

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    Dick, thanks for the reply.

Sorry I am confused between polynomial and algebraic.

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just told you the difference. An algebraic number is the root of a polynomial with integer coefficients. sqrt(2) is a root of x^2-2=0. That shows it algebraic. The coefficients of the polynomial are integers. x=pi is a root of x^2-pi^2=0. That doesn't show it's algebraic. pi^2 isn't an integer.

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5
    a, b are integers, a+b and ab also. so.

(x- a-b)*(x-ab) = x^2 - x*(ab+a+b) - ab*(a+b) = f(x)

f(ab) = f (a+b) = 0, so, ab, a+b satisfies polynomial f(x) and hence, ab and a+b are algebraic.

7. Oct 18, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you were given that a and b are integers, that would be fine. You aren't given that a and b are integers. So it's not fine. I think you'd better go back and review the definition of 'algebraic' and any examples about them in your book.

8. Oct 18, 2009 #7
    hey, its given as algebraic integers, I typed that as number.

Thanks for your replies.

9. Oct 18, 2009 #8
    but I couldn't find any integer satisfying b^2+b-3 = 0, but Herstein had mentioned that b is an Algebraic integer.

10. Oct 18, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, your problem says that a and b are "algebraic integers". It does NOT follow that a and b are integers. Do you know the definition of "algebraic integer"?

11. Oct 18, 2009 #10
    yea, all ai s should be integers, but not necessarily roots right.

12. Oct 19, 2009 #11
    I think this should do.

f(a) = a^3+a+1 = 0; g(b) = b^2+b-3 = 0.

h(a+b) = ci*xi. This should be zero since, all xi 's are linearly dependent since they can be expressed as f(a) and g(b) i.e., a^i*b^i = a^j*(a^3+a+1)*b^k*( b^2+b-3) = 0. Similarly k(ab) = 0

13. Oct 19, 2009 #12

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to work on expressing yourself clearly. What are the xis? What is h(x), and why is h(a+b)=ci*xi (the c's here aren't defined either). And then you have k(ab) without saying what k is!

14. Oct 19, 2009 #13
    Say f(a) = a^3+a+1 = 0; g(b) = b^2+b-3 = 0. [Given]

There exists , h(x) a polynomial with in the form of Ci*Xi where Cis are integer coefficients and h(a+b) = 0. since, all xi 's are linearly dependent since they can be expressed as f(a) and g(b) i.e., for each a^i*b^i = a^j*(a^3+a+1)*b^k*( b^2+b-3) = 0. Similarly there exists a polynomial k(x) with integer coefficients such that k(ab) = 0.

15. Oct 19, 2009 #14
    Office thanks for your reply.

More over, h(x) will be of degree 6 since, a and b are of degree 3,2 respectively with gcd 1. so, a+b will be of degree 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook