Solving Algebraic Integral: $\int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{x^2-1}{x^4+1} dx$

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: So using this substitution, the integral becomes: \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1-1/x^2}{x^2+1/x^2} dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{d}{dx} \left(x+\frac{1}{x}\right) dx = \lim_{t \to \infty} \left[\left(x+\frac{1}{x}\right)\ln x \right]_0^t = \lim_{t \to \infty} \left(t\ln t - \frac{1}{t}\right)= \inftyTherefore, the original integral is divergent. In summary, the given integral is diver
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{x^2-1}{x^4+1} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I separate the integral I get

[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{x^2}{x^4+1} dx - \int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{x^4+1} dx[/itex]

But these two integrals are itself complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is a difficult integral. Here's an approach using partial fractions. I may not have written it quite right -- please check the arithmetic.

Let's start with ## x^4 + 1## . This can be rewritten as ##x^4 + 2x^2 +1 - 2x^2 = (x^2 + 1)^2 - 2x^2##. You can factor this expression as ##(x^2 +1 - \sqrt 2x)(x^2 + 1 + \sqrt2x)##. You use the partial fraction method to rewrite this as
##\frac{x^2-1}{(x^2 +1 - \sqrt 2x)(x^2 + 1 + \sqrt2x)} = \frac{A}{(x^2 +1 - \sqrt 2x)} + \frac{B}{x^2 + 1 + \sqrt2x}## where A and B are real numbers.

Now add up these fractions exactly as you did in elementary school and set the numerator to ##x^2 - 1##. This will allow you to solve for A and B.

Now how do you integrate ## \frac{A}{(x^2 +1 - \sqrt 2x)}##? This one you can look up. ##\int \frac{1}{ax^2 + bx + c}dx = \frac{2}{d}arctan \frac{2ax + b}{d}## where d = ##\sqrt{4ac - b^2}##

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{x^2-1}{x^4+1} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I separate the integral I get

[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{x^2}{x^4+1} dx - \int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{x^4+1} dx[/itex]

But these two integrals are itself complicated.

Rewrite the given integral as:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1-1/x^2}{x^2+1/x^2} dx[/tex]

##1-1/x^2## is the derivative of ##x+1/x##. Do you see how to proceed from here?

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
Rewrite the given integral as:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1-1/x^2}{x^2+1/x^2} dx[/tex]

##1-1/x^2## is the derivative of ##x+1/x##. Do you see how to proceed from here?

Very clever, I like it.

What is an algebraic integral?

An algebraic integral is a type of indefinite integral that involves algebraic functions, such as polynomials, rational functions, and radical functions.

What is the process for solving an algebraic integral?

The process for solving an algebraic integral involves using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions, to simplify the integrand and then applying the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the solution.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the process of differentiation and integration are inverse operations, and the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the integrand.

How can I solve the algebraic integral $\int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{x^2-1}{x^4+1} dx$?

To solve this algebraic integral, you can use the substitution $u = x^2$, which simplifies the integrand to $\dfrac{1}{2}\int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{1-u}{u^2+1} du$. Then, you can use partial fractions to further simplify the integrand and evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Why is it important to be able to solve algebraic integrals?

Algebraic integrals are important in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities in real-world applications, and they are also essential in the study of more advanced mathematical concepts, such as multivariable calculus and differential equations.