1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Manipulation Proof

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to prove the following equation is true, given that a + b + c = 0:
    a^2/(a^2 - b^2 - c^2) + b^2/(b^2 - a^2 - c^2) + c^2/(c^2 - a^2 - b^2) = 3/2

2. Relevant equations

a + b + c = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I wasn't sure what to do at first, so I tried cross multiplying the equation and combining like terms. I came up with:

-a^6 - b^6 - c^6 + a^4b^2 + a^4c^2 + b^4a^2 + b^4c^2 + c^4a^2 + c^4b^2 + 6a^2b^2c^2 = 0

It looks like this should factor out nicely, but I can't seem to figure out how. Can anybody help me out?

Edit: Finally got it solved. This was way easier than I tried to make it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2
    That makes me dizzy. Just inspecting it (i'll work on it later) it might be a bit easier to note that a + b + c that there exist at least 1 negative value in there (assuming a, b, c are real). From there you could possibly prove by cases that will equal to 3/2.

4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    Yeah, that is a much nicer way of writing what I had. Sorry about the plain text, I just haven't used latex before.

Edit: Somebody else posted here earlier, but they must have deleted their post. It was just a reworking of my problem in latex.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  5. Jan 29, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just set, say, c=-(a+b) and plug it in wherever c occurs. Then simplify.

By the way, a+b+c=0 is an equation, whereas the other is an identity.

6. Jan 29, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Notice that if your quadratic identity is true for a,b and c then it's also true for ra, rb and rc for any nonzero constant r. So you could just choose, say a=1. So if you can prove it for a=1, c=-(1+b), then you've proved it for all a,b,c (at least the ones for which it is defined).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?