1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Algebraic Manipulation

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1

Physics Dad

Gold Member

Hi,

I am having a real senior moment and can't quite get my head around a physics problem.

I need to split an equation into two parts, in turn creating a coefficient and my mind has gone totally blank!

I need to split the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution formula from:

f(v) = 4π(m/2(pi)kbT)3/2v2e(-mv2/2kbT)

formula into the following:

f(v) = aT-3/2v2e(-mv2/2kbT)

where a is a coefficient to be determined.

I understand that I am isolating variables in order to create a coefficient (a) but every time I get going I lead myself down a merry path and end up with something different!

Any help would be gratefully received

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2
    well, the second part of the formula(after ##v^2##) is equal in both forms so we only have to consider ##4\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi K_bT})^{\frac{3}{2}} = aT^{\frac{-3}{2}}##
    remember that ##\frac{1}{T^{x}} = T^{-x}## and there you are

4. Oct 27, 2016 #3

Physics Dad

Gold Member

I am getting an answer but I don't have confidence in my reasoning behind it.

Basically, if 4π(m/(2kbT))3/2=aT-3/2

am I right in thinking that T-3/2 becomes 1/T3/2?

if so, after doing a bit of rearranging magic from here, I get the answer that a=4π(m/2kb)3/2

I just feel like I am getting algebra blindness!!

Thanks in advance for your patience!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Oct 27, 2016 #4
    yep, i also want you to notice that it is really immediate to see ##4\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi K_bT})^{3/2} = 4\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi K_b})^{3/2}T^{-3/2} = aT^{-3/2}## so the ##T^{-3/2}## just get canceled out and there's no magic at all :P

so you basically missed a ##\pi##, probably just for distraction, but you're there:
    ##a = 4\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi K_b})^{3/2}##
    now ##4\pi \frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}## can be further simplified, give it a try

6. Oct 27, 2016 #5

Physics Dad

Gold Member

Thanks a lot, and yes, you're right, I missed the π from the denominator.

I know it is obvious to see the cancellation, but I wanted to make certain by expanding and then just cancelling down to be sure.

Your assistance has been really greatly appreciated. I am sure it wont be the last time I am asking but it is great to know that a facility like this exists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted