1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Number Theory, don't understand one step in a given proof

1. May 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, sorry to be a pain, if anyone could help me understand this I'd be very grateful (exams next week, no more revision classes and no tutors I can easily ask...)

Let K be a number field, OK its ring of integers, and Δ(W)2 be the discriminant. Write Z for set of integers, Q for set of rationals.

2. Relevant equations
    Dedekind's Theorem on decomposition of (p) for p a rational prime.
    Theorem shown previously in the course that Δ ( Z[a] )2 = ± NormK/Q(m'(a)) where ' denotes derivative, m is the minimal polynomial of a over Z.

Corollary:
    If p ramifies then p| Δ ( Z[a] )2

Proof:
    If p | [OK : Z[a]] then p| Δ ( Z[a] ). So suppose p does not divide [OK : Z[a]] and so Dedekind's Theorem applies. By Dedekind, is p ramifies, with a factor p2, then n(x) := m(x) (mod p) has a multiple irreducible factor mod h(x) over the finite field with p elements, for which h(a) [itex]\in[/itex] (p, h(a)) = (p). We then have:

m(x) = g(x)2s(x) + pk(x) for some polynomials s, k, so that

m'(x) = g(x) (2g'(x)h(x) + g(x)h'(x)) + pk'(x) = g(x)j(x) + pl(x) say for polynomials j,l.

Thus m'(a) = g(a)j(a) + pb for b [itex]\in[/itex] OK.

It follows that:

NormK/Q(m'(a)) = ∏σ σ(m'(a)) = ∏σ σ(g(a)j(a)) + pβ for some algebraic integer β. ***

(and then some more...)
    3. The attempt at a solution

I understand most of this, and I understand the bit following, I am stumped at how on the line *** we can take the term that's a multiple of p 'out of' the norm. Norm is multiplicative but not additive, in general, so what allows this step? Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted