Understanding Algebraic Numbers & Proving Them

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, an algebraic number is any number that is a solution to a polynomial with integer or rational coefficients. This includes rational numbers, deMoivre roots, and sums or products of algebraic numbers. It is possible to prove these properties and they follow certain rules, such as the finite degree of a field extension.
swampwiz
I'm trying to grok what an algebraic number could look like. Yes, I understand that an algebraic number is any number that could be a solution (root) to a polynomial having integer coefficients (or rational coefficients, since any set of rational coefficients can be made into integers by scaling the entire polynomial equation).

I can't prove it, but it seems that an algebraic number follows a few rules:

- any rational number is an algebraic number

- any deMoivre root of an algebraic number is an algebraic number

- the sum or product of any pair of algebraic numbers is an algebraic number

Is my understanding accurate here? If so, is there any way to prove this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, these are all true.

- The polynomial ##x-(a/b)## has ##a/b## as a root.

- If ##\alpha## is a root of ##p(x)## and if ##w^n=\alpha##, then ##w## is a root of ##p(x^n).##

- If ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are algebraic, then ##[\mathbb{Q}(\alpha,\beta):\mathbb{Q}]=[\mathbb{Q}(\alpha,\beta):\mathbb{Q}(\alpha)]\cdot [\mathbb{Q}(\alpha):\mathbb{Q}]## is finite, so ##\alpha\beta,\alpha+\beta\in\mathbb{Q}(\alpha,\beta)## are algebraic.

The point in the last argument is that ##[\mathbb{Q}(\gamma):\mathbb{Q}]## is finite if and only if ##\gamma## is algebraic. It's not easy to explicitly describe the minimal polynomial of ##\alpha+\beta## in terms of the minimal polynomials of ##\alpha## and ##\beta.##

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mfb

1. What are algebraic numbers?

Algebraic numbers are numbers that can be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation with integer coefficients. They include rational numbers, irrational numbers, and imaginary numbers.

2. How are algebraic numbers different from transcendental numbers?

Algebraic numbers can be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation, while transcendental numbers cannot be expressed in this way. Examples of transcendental numbers include pi and e.

3. How can algebraic numbers be proved?

Algebraic numbers can be proved using the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every polynomial equation with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. Additionally, algebraic numbers can be proved using the properties of field extensions and Galois theory.

4. What are some examples of algebraic numbers?

Examples of algebraic numbers include integers, rational numbers, square roots of integers, cube roots of integers, and imaginary numbers such as the square root of -1.

5. Why is understanding algebraic numbers important?

Understanding algebraic numbers is important because they are the building blocks of mathematics and have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Additionally, understanding algebraic numbers helps in solving complex equations and understanding advanced mathematical concepts.