[algebraic topology] proving local degree is +1

Your Name]In summary, the proof for deg(f) = n! can be done using induction on n, with the base case of n = 1 and the inductive step of assuming deg(f) = n! for n-1 and showing that deg(f) = n! for n. The pre-image of any point on S^n is a finite set of n! points and the map f can be written as f(z_1, \cdots, z_n) = (z_1 + g(z_1, \cdots, z_n), \cdots, z_n + g(z_1, \cdots, z_n)), where g(z_1, \cdots, z_n) =
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

Suppose we have [itex]f: \mathbb C^n \to \mathbb C^n[/itex] with [itex]f(z_1, \cdots,z_n) = (\sigma_1(\mathbf z), \cdots, \sigma_n(\mathbf z))[/itex]
where the sigmas are the elementary symmetric functions (i.e. [itex]\sigma_1 = \sum z_j \quad \sigma_2 = \sum_{i < j} z_i z_j \quad[/itex] etc)

Note if we look at the one-point compactification of [itex]\mathbb C^n[/itex] this gives us a map [itex]f: S^n \to S^n[/itex].
Prove deg(f) = n!

Homework Equations

[itex]\mathrm{deg}(f) = \sum_{x \in f^{-1}(y)} \mathrm{deg}_x(f) \quad[/itex] (local degree formula)

The Attempt at a Solution

If we take a point [itex](z_1, \cdots,z_n) [/itex] such that all z's are unequal, then the pre-image contains n! points (namely one pre-image and all its permutations). I can prove that all those pre-images have to have the same local degree. Also, I can argue that f is locally invertible around such points.
Hence I've been able to prove [itex]\mathrm{deg}_{\mathbf z}(f) = \pm 1 \qquad \mathrm{deg}(f) = \pm n![/itex]

Where I'm stuck is proving the degree is positive. I.e. I want to argue the local degree is +1 as opposed to -1.

How can I do this? (I have been able to give an argument using homotopies but I cannot make it exact and it looks too messy.) Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The proof for deg(f) = n! can be done using induction on n.

Base case: n = 1
For n = 1, we have f(z_1) = \sigma_1(z_1) = z_1. The pre-image of any point on S^1 is a single point, and the local degree is +1. Therefore, deg(f) = 1.

Inductive step:
Assume that deg(f) = n! for n-1. We will show that deg(f) = n! for n.

We know that the pre-image of any point on S^n is a finite set of n! points, since each point in the pre-image represents a permutation of the n variables.

Note that the map f can be written as f(z_1, \cdots, z_n) = (z_1 + g(z_1, \cdots, z_n), \cdots, z_n + g(z_1, \cdots, z_n)), where g(z_1, \cdots, z_n) = \sigma_n(z_1, \cdots, z_n) - \sigma_{n-1}(z_1, \cdots, z_n)z_n.

Using the local degree formula, we can see that the local degree at any point in the pre-image is equal to the local degree of the map g.

Now, we can use induction to show that deg(g) = (n-1)!. This is because g is a map from S^n to S^n-1, and using the same argument as in the base case, we can prove that deg(g) = (n-1)!.

Therefore, deg(f) = n! as desired.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is algebraic topology?

Algebraic topology is a branch of mathematics that studies topological spaces by using algebraic tools. It focuses on the properties of spaces that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending.

2. What is the local degree in algebraic topology?

The local degree is a concept in algebraic topology that measures the degree to which a map between two topological spaces is locally invertible at a given point. It is used to study the local behavior of continuous maps between spaces.

3. How is the local degree calculated?

The local degree is calculated by taking the determinant of the Jacobian matrix of the map at a given point. This measures the local stretching and scaling of the map and can be used to determine the local invertibility of the map at that point.

4. What does it mean for a local degree to be +1?

A local degree of +1 means that the map is locally invertible at a given point. This means that the map is one-to-one and onto in a small neighborhood around that point, and there are no "foldings" or reversals in the map at that point.

5. Why is it important to prove that the local degree is +1?

Proving that the local degree is +1 is important because it guarantees that the map is well-behaved and has a unique solution in a small neighborhood around a given point. This is useful in many applications of algebraic topology, such as in differential equations and dynamical systems.