1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Vectors Help Please

1. Oct 30, 2004 #1
    edit // 1-4 have been answered. Please scroll down.
    -----
    Firstly, i would like to make sure whether i am clear on this subject.

If A is (2, 3, 5) and B (5, 2, -3), would AB equal (3, -1, -8) ? And the magnitude of AB would be the Square.root(9+1+64+ .

Either way, i would like someone to assist me in these problems.

1.) "Find the components of the unit vector with direction opposite to that of the vector from X(7,4,-2) to Y(1,2,1)

I first figured out XY, which is (6, -2, 3). Am i correct to assume the opposite of this XY is (-6, 2, -3) ? I then used the formula for the unit vector calculation to figure out the coordinates of the unit vector.However, my answer was (-6/7, 2/7, -3/7) -- while the correct answer should be (6/7, 2/7, 3/7).

2.) ABCDEF is a regular hexagon with sides of unit length. Find the magnitude of direction of AB + AC + AD + AE + AF (all vectors). ABCDEF is drawn counter-clockwise (for conveniance).

I first made AF = AB. Therefore, 2AB + AC +AD + AE. Then AE = AC. Therefore, 2AB + 2AC + AD. Now, am i correct to say AD = AB + BC + CD ? The rest i should be able to calculate.

3.) The sum and the difference of two vectors u and v are given. Show how to find the vectors themselves.

See attached image for Diagram.

I am completely stuck on this one. Is there a proper way of doing it, without trial and error?

4.) Find the length of the median AM in the triangle ABC, for the points A (2, 3/2, -4), B (3, -4, 2), and C (1, 3, -7).

Once again, would e.g AB equal x2 - x1, y2-y1, z2-z1 ?

Thank you.
    Please repond asap. :uhh:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2004 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

Edit: I realized that you're trying to find the vector between 2 points and not the product of two vectors, but here is the info anyway if you need it
    There are two types of vector multiplication: vector(or cross) product and scalar(or dot) product.

Cross(vector) Product is written as <a, b, c> x <d, e, f> and it yields a new vector

The new vector is the determinant of the matrix
    | i j k |
    | a b c |
    | d e f |

Dot(scalar) product is written as <a, b, c> [tex]\scriptsize \bullet[/tex] <d, e, f> and it yields a scalar.

To solve a dot product you multiply the corresponding components and then add them up. (a*d + b*d + c*f)

(Note that for the dot product you technically do multiply a*e and a*f but since those components are perpendicular their product is 0)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  4. Oct 30, 2004 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From your post I think you mean AB to be the 'vector from A to B'. Then yes, but it's just B-A. The notation AB is usually used for multiplication (dot or cross-products of vectors).
    The vector from X to Y should be Y-X=(-6,-2,3). You got the length right and the opposite direction is obtained by multiplying the vector by -1.
    This is general algebra, not for vectors in particular.
    If
    x+y=a and
    x-y=b
    Then adding and subtracting these equations give:
    2x=a+b and
    2y=a-b
    respectively.

5. Oct 30, 2004 #4
    Thank you for the responses. I have figured out all the questions/answers.

One more question however, for:

4.) Find the length of the median AM in the triangle ABC, for the points A (2, 3/2, -4), B (3, -4, 2), and C (1, 3, -7).

I have calculated AM.
    However, part B is as follows:

Find AX, X being the centroid of the triangle (all medians intersect at centroid).

Does anyone have any ideas? I am not really knowledgable of any properties involving the centroid of a triangle.

One idea i have: Is the centroid two-thirds the distance to the opposite side on the median. I am fairly sure this is true. Therefore, M1X is 2/3 of M1B (M1 being midpoint, X the centroid, and B as the vertex). Is there a name for this property. Or is it just a definition of a centroid?

Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2004
  6. Oct 31, 2004 #5
    Would anyone happen to know?

7. Nov 1, 2004 #6
    Since you have calculated AM, you can calculate AX. X is the centroid and centroid divides the median (median AM) in the ratio 2:1. So, you can say AX is 2/3 of AM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?