Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebras and Sigma-Algebras

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    I'm currently taking a college level probability course and I am stuck on a couple questions involving algebras and sigma-algebras.

Let S be a fixed set.

1. What is the difference between an algebra on S and a sigma-algebra on S?

2. Why do we require an event space to be a sigma algebra instead of an algebra?

3. Find a set S and an algebra A on S such that A is not a sigma-algebra on S.

Also, I have a proof that I could use some hints on how to start and the general form in which I should go about it.

Prove that every sigma-algebra on S is an algebra on S.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2
    I suspect it has something to do with sigma-algebras being limited to only finite intersections.

Continuous random variables cause problems of you assume countable additivity of probability for point events.

--Elucidus

4. Sep 11, 2009 #3
    A sigma algebra is an algebra closed wrt countable unions.
    Because we want probability/measure to be sigma-additive.
    The system of finite and co-finite subsets of any infinite set forms an algebra which is not a sigma algebra.
    What definitions of algebra and sigma-algebra are you using? Under most definitions, this would be trivial (perhaps requiring the use of de Morgan's laws).

5. Sep 11, 2009 #4
    Why do we require an event space to be a sigma algebra instead of an algebra?

Perhaps not entirely responsive... the next question would be "why do we want that?"

So ... How about:

In order to do probability calculations involving limits of sequences. Either sequences of events or more generally sequences of random variables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook