1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algegra equation help

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    Can someone help - algebra

This may look really simple to you, however I'm having a hard job trying to rearrange this equation, please could you give me some pointers of what I should be doing - most greatfull :cry:

How can I rearrange this equation to make p the subject?

Vp = ^x + 4/3y
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2
    i dont understand what you have written... is this what you were aiming to write?

[tex] Vp = p^{x+ \frac{4}{3}y}[/tex]
    in which case i suggest you bring all the Ps to one side, and then combine their exponents (using exponent rules) and then log both sides
  4. Sep 15, 2005 #3
    Sorry no not quite what I was trying to write, I'm not sure how to put in a symbol for the square root. I'll try again ( :eek: )

Vp = sqr x+4/3y

(the p should be centred under the equation, but it won't stay there sorry)
  5. Sep 15, 2005 #4

6. Sep 15, 2005 #5
    I think that's what stepha was aiming for. In that case, this should be easier than you think! If you are trying to solve for p, it would be much easier to just move p on to the left side of the equation than trying to move everything else over. Here's a hint: How do you move p from the denominator to the other side in one step?

And welcome to PF, stepha!
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  7. Sep 16, 2005 #6

Thank you for your help. I worked it out (doesn't seem so hard now :rolleyes:)

Glad I found this web site though, i will probably be using it a lot!!!

and how did you get the square root sign????????
  8. Sep 16, 2005 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To learn to write equations and symbols using latex, go here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

You can click on any equation you see to get the latex code that generated it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?