Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algorithm design book?

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    can someone recommend a good algorithm design book? like the end all be all of algo design? so that i don't have to read anything else cause i'm not a cs major just someone who wants to be decent at programming

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 9, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Possibly the most accesible is "The Algorithm Design Manual"

5. Apr 9, 2008 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on what you want to do. Carmen or Robert Sedgewick are what you get in an Algorithms class at University.

Do you code for food now? If so, you need to read, starting now, keep on until you die.
    Start with 'Art of Programming' by Knuth. If you just want a more nearly cookbook approach Knuth is not for you. Consider Carmen or Robert Sedgewick (two books). If you are into doing maths, consider Numerical Recipes in C.

The problem is that you cannot predict what you employer will want 5 years from now. It's nice to say, "yes, I've seen that and can do basic things with <fill in the blank>".
    It's known as being indespensible.

6. Apr 9, 2008 #5
    don't code for money yet. something more theoretical would be nice, i know knuth invented tex so i trust his book will be decent so i'll check that out.

wait assembly? do i need to know assembly to be able to read this book?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  7. Apr 10, 2008 #6

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not really - go to a library and check out volume 1. See if you can read it.
    Tex is based on the concept of Metafont - which is the basis for truetype fonts for example.

8. Apr 15, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't really understand how a computer program works without understanding assembler.
    TAOCP is written using an assembly langauge for an imaginary processor which only exists for examples in the book. The new edition uses a new RISC imaginary processor.
    That's the good news, the bad news is that if you think the idea of examples in an imaginary assembly language is complicated - wait until you see what the book actaully covers using it !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?