Developing an Algorithm for Calculating Range of Oerlikon 20 mm Auto-Cannon

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with writing an algorithm for a physics project on the Oerlikon 20 mm auto-cannon. They are seeking guidance on how to approach the project and are wondering if using a differential equation and the fourth order Runge-Kutta algorithm would be appropriate. They also mention their level of knowledge in math and physics and ask for suggestions based on that.
Mikomi
I've been assigned a relatively funky physics project, and the process of writing the algorithm for said project has completely stumped me.

I have chosen to research the Oerlikon 20 mm auto-cannon, and have done all of my research and am at the point where I am supposed to write an algorithm.

Per the worksheet: "Develop an algorithm to calculate the range of the cannon based on variables you, as the cannoneer, control. Show all work for your derivation of the algorithm."

If anybody could send me in a general direction, I would be much obliged. Thanks so much! :3

Physics news on Phys.org
How much detail are you looking at simulating?

If it were me, I would start with the differential equation for projectile motion including air resistance, and use something like the fourth order Runge-Kutta algorithm to solve it numerically for a given launch angle, speed, and drag coefficient. Then calculate the trajectories for various combinations of launch angle and speed, and construct a table.

Of course, I have no idea whether this would be appropriate for you to try, because I don't know if you've studied differential equations or even basic calculus, or how much physics you've studied. And for the Runge-Kutta algorithm you need to know some computer programming or at least how to use a spreadsheet for complex numerical calculations.

So maybe you'd better give us some idea of what level school you're in, and where you're starting from as far as math and physics knowledge is concerned.

Last edited:

1. What is an algorithm for cannon range?

An algorithm for cannon range is a set of step-by-step instructions or procedures that determines the maximum distance a cannonball can travel when fired at a certain angle and velocity.

2. How does the algorithm for cannon range work?

The algorithm for cannon range uses mathematical equations and principles of physics, such as projectile motion and gravity, to calculate the distance a cannonball will travel. It takes into account factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

3. What inputs are needed for the algorithm for cannon range?

The inputs needed for the algorithm for cannon range include the initial velocity of the cannonball, the angle at which the cannon is fired, and any external factors that may affect the trajectory of the cannonball, such as air resistance or elevation.

4. Can the algorithm for cannon range be used for any type of cannon?

The algorithm for cannon range can be used for any type of cannon as long as the necessary inputs are provided. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the type and quality of the cannon being used.

5. What are some limitations of the algorithm for cannon range?

The algorithm for cannon range is based on ideal conditions and may not account for all real-world factors, such as wind or terrain. It also assumes a perfect launch and does not take into account any external forces acting on the cannonball after it is fired. Additionally, the accuracy of the algorithm may decrease over longer distances or for extreme angles of launch.