Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algorithm for obtaining Laguerre Polynomial Coefficients

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Hi!
    I am trying to prove to myself that the following method gives the nth Laguerre polynomial, defined here as:
    [itex]L_{n}(x)=e^{x}\frac{\partial^{n}}{\partial x^{n}}(x^{n}e^{-x})[/itex]

I think that the characteristic polynomial of the following n x n matrix will yield the nth Laguerre polynomial.

[itex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & ... & 0\\ 1 & 3 & 2 & 0 & ... & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 5 & 3 & ... & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 3 & 7 & ... & 0 \\ ... & ... & ... & ... & ... & n-1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & ... & n-1 & 2n-1\end{array} \right][/itex]

It is a tridiagonal matrix, with the positive odd integers along the main diagonal up to 2n-1, and the natural numbers up to n-1 in the super and sub diagonals.

This seems to be an induction proof, but I am having trouble with it. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to proceed. I should be able to recover the recurrence relation for the Laguerre polynomials.

EDIT: Nevermind! I figured it out! I can use the general formula for the determinant of a tridiagonal matrix! :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tridiagonal_matrix

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted