Efficient Subset Finding Algorithm for Finite Sets with Pairs

• Thread starter mXSCNT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithms
In summary, the problem at hand is to find if there is a set in T that contains a subset from S and determine the specific pairs (s,t) that satisfy this condition. The size of the problem is specified with |P| = 1000, |S| = |T| = 10,000,000. The brute force method of checking all possible pairs could be time-consuming, so the idea is to sort the sets in S and T and start checking from the smallest sets. This would reduce the number of comparisons needed and potentially make the process faster. Suggestions for a better or faster algorithm or knowledge of an existing one are welcome.
mXSCNT
I have some ideas and a sketch of an algorithm for this problem, but let's see what other people think.

You have two finite sets of finite sets, S and T. The elements of S and of T are all subsets of another finite set P.

The problem is: is there any set t in T, such that there is a subset s of t where s is an element of S? And specifically what are the pairs (s,t) for which that is true?

Some example numbers of the size of problem I want to solve: |P| = 1000, |S| = |T| = 10,000,000

The brute force way would be to check every pair (s,t) with s in S and t in T, and test whether s is a subset of t. That could take an awfully long time. I have an idea for a more efficient method, but I'm wondering if anybody has encountered this problem before or has an idea how best to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
My idea is to sort the sets in S and T, then start from the smallest set (in size) in each of S and T. For each pair of sets, s in S and t in T, we check if s is a subset of t. If it is, we add it to the list of pairs. Otherwise, we move on to the next pair. We continue this process until all the elements in S have been checked against all the elements in T. This should work faster than the brute force approach since we are cutting down the number of comparisons we need to do. Also, by sorting the sets in S and T, we can avoid checking some of the redundant comparisons. If somebody can suggest a better or faster algorithm, or if they already know of an existing algorithm to solve this problem, please let me know.

1. What is subset finding?

Subset finding is a problem in computer science where the goal is to find a subset of elements from a given set that meets certain criteria. This problem is commonly encountered in various fields of study, such as data analysis, graph theory, and computer algorithms.

2. How does subset finding work?

The process of subset finding involves searching through a given set of elements and checking if they meet the criteria for being a subset. This is typically done using an algorithm, which is a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem. The algorithm will determine which elements are part of the subset and which are not.

3. What are some applications of subset finding?

There are many real-world applications of subset finding, such as finding the shortest path in a network, identifying patterns in data, and optimizing resource allocation. It is also commonly used in machine learning and artificial intelligence to classify and cluster data.

4. What are the challenges of subset finding?

One of the main challenges of subset finding is the time and space complexity of the algorithm used. As the size of the input set grows, the time and memory required to find the subset also increases. This makes it crucial to design efficient algorithms for subset finding.

5. How do scientists approach subset finding?

Scientists approach subset finding by first defining the problem and its constraints. They then analyze the problem and determine the best approach to solving it, often using mathematical models and algorithms. The algorithm is then tested and refined to improve its efficiency and accuracy.