1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aliasing (Fourier Transform)

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    Hi. I have been given a plot for 1 Hz, sampled at 0.2 sec. And, 4 Hz and 11 Hz has also been plotted. So, from the plot, I can see that its really hard to distinguish between the signals after digitalization. My question is how do I find the next higher frequency which, when sampled at 0.2 secs, will look like a 1 Hz wave ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Low-Q

Gold Member

Do you mean 0.2s duration of sampling (with a given sampling frequency), or do you mean one sample every 0.2s (5Hz sampling frequency)?

Vidar

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3
    I mean one sample every 0.2 seconds

5. Feb 6, 2013 #4

Low-Q

Gold Member

In general you need at least two samples per cycle. You have a sampling frequency of 5Hz. Sampling 1Hz with this is not a problem - however very coarse plot. Using the same sampling frequency when you have 4 and 11Hz input would not provide any results at all.
    According to Nyquist theorem, the minimum sampling frequency is twice the frequency you are trying to sample. Below you see a link to a PDF explaining this.

http://redwood.berkeley.edu/bruno/npb261/aliasing.pdf

Vidar

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook