Make Your Own Alien Energy Ball

In summary, the conversation is about an energy ball that glows and hums when touched. It is compared to a miniature Plasma Sphere and explained how it works using Tesla coils and argon gas. The speaker also suggests using a light bulb or LED in series with the gap to create a similar effect.
franz32
Have anyone read my thread about toys and gadgets?

Anyway, it leads here...

An energy ball is simply a ball that whenever one touches it, it glows and hums. (electric circuit ball)

Does anyone know its schematic diagram (interior of alien ball)?
How do I make my own? =)

I just know that it has 2 metal strips, small baterries and a small sound system.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have not seen one of these alien balls you speak of, however it sounds like a portable miniture Plasma Sqhere contained within a fuzzy plastic shell (to hide the sparks, and simply emit the scattered light through the casing of the plastic shell). Plasma Sqheres are made by using Tesla coils to generate a very high voltage positive charge on an inner sphere, contained within a vacuum of argon gas (usually 1 1/10 normal atmosphere). The charge on the inner sphere ionizes the argon, and the vacuum amplifies the discharge (less restrictions and resistance) to the more negative outer shell. When a person touches the outer shell, their body acts as a conductor and causes a more direct path way for discharge.

Hope this helps.

Um... I think I've seen what you describe. It's only active if electrical contact is made between the two metal plates.

Depending on how sophisticated you feel, the simplest approach is to put a light bulb or LED in series with the gap.

If you want to get much more sophisticated, you can measure the capacitence of the metal plate, and glow when it changes, but that's *much* more complicated than what the actual ball uses, and only requires a single contact point.

1. What materials are needed to make an alien energy ball?

To make your own alien energy ball, you will need a balloon, a small amount of flour, a funnel, a water bottle, and a few drops of food coloring.

2. How does the alien energy ball work?

The alien energy ball works by creating a chemical reaction between the flour and water inside the balloon. This reaction produces a gas that inflates the balloon and gives it a bouncy, squishy texture.

3. Can I use any type of flour for the alien energy ball?

Yes, you can use any type of flour for the alien energy ball. However, self-rising flour tends to work best because it already contains baking powder which helps with the chemical reaction.

4. How long will the alien energy ball last?

The alien energy ball will last for a few days if kept in a cool, dry place. However, the bounciness and squishiness may decrease over time.

5. Can I reuse the alien energy ball?

Yes, you can reuse the alien energy ball. Simply deflate the balloon and store it in a sealed container. When you are ready to use it again, add a few drops of food coloring and refill the balloon with the flour mixture.