Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Alien Paw Syndrome?

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many here may have heard of Alien Hand Syndrome
    http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12655

Could this be an example of Alien Paw Syndrome? :biggrin:
    [edit by Ivan: link deleted. See post #16]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2005 #2
    OMG, that was too funny, well maybe not to the dog. I will half to defer this to Moonbear.
    It made me wonder if, it was so food agressive, that even its own paw was a threat.
    I did have a dog, years back that was always suprised by her tail, the darn tail followed her where ever it went, much to her dismay.

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

My brother's kitten keeps trying to eat its own tail, and then acts surprised when it gets bitten.

5. Jul 29, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The video isn't in a format I can view. If you tell me what it shows, I might be able to comment.

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5
    The dog is on a sofa chewing a bone. His hind leg moves up to the bone, and the dog starts Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr GrrrrRRRRRrrrrrr like his back paw is gonna take the bone from him. Like he does not view it as his own, or has no control of its attempt to take his bone.

7. Jul 30, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and this goes on for some time...

8. Jul 30, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just watched it again. He actually bites his foot and holds it in his mouth, apparently to make it stop moving on his bone. I have heard of people with AHS getting in a fight with their own hand. :eek: This video looks much like what I've heard described.

9. Jul 30, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if the dog thinks his paw is possessed by an alien dog?

10. Jul 30, 2005 #9
    I am sure thats what he thinks. Dogs know and fully understand that, aliens do not wish to take control of the world. They infact just want the worlds supply of bones, treats and kibbles!

11. Jul 30, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All joking aside, if this syndrome has never been observed in dogs, this video may be of interest to some people. It sure looks like the behavior commonly described wrt AHS in people. In either case it seemed worth a post. :biggrin:

12. Jul 30, 2005 #11
    Very strange. Any scientific explanations?

13. Aug 1, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Odd. I've tricked dogs into biting their own tails when they had long tails and I tickled their nose with their tail instead of a toy (my parents had a knack for buying dumb dogs), but as soon as they grabbed their tail and realized it was theirs, they let go again. I attributed it more to them focusing on playing and not on where their tail was going.

Some dogs also chew on their feet...looks like a nervous habit when they do it, but can be a sign of allergies (itching) too. But without seeing the video, I really can't say if it's any of those cases.

14. Aug 1, 2005 #13

JamesU

Gold Member

I loved making my cat bite her tail that way...

15. Aug 1, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I checked but couldn't find this in a .mov format. :grumpy: You really should try to view this on another computer. It is as funny as it is strange.

16. Aug 1, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, all of my computers (at least the functional ones) are Macs, so it probably won't run on any of them if it won't run on this one (this one is most up-to-date). When I move to WV, they use PCs, so maybe next month some time I'll get to see it.

17. Sep 27, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?