Alien Perception of Time - Can Time Go Backwards?

• Thread starter puzzled fish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alien Time
In summary, the professor claims that it may be possible to experience time passing differently than right now, either minutes or hours afterwards or even before now as we speak. However, there are many difficulties with this idea, including the fact that the information in the video is not a valid source. Based on what information is available, most people seem to agree with Drakkith's opinion that the idea is implausible.
puzzled fish
In Through the Wormhole Episode no.2 of the 6th series named Can Time Go Backwards (it starts in the 6th minute what I am referring to), it is claimed by a university professor that it may be possible (especially by alien beings) to perceive and experience the passing of time not right now but minutes or hours afterwards, or even before now as we speak. And he illustrates this notion in a hockey game.
Is this true, because I find tremendous logical difficulties in believing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
That link doesn't appear to go to s6e2, s6e2 appears to be about the universe being a simulation, and the video of s6e2 doesn't work for me.

Can I suggest you google for the "Andromeda Paradox" and see if that's the kind of scenario you are referring to?

I tried the same thing, and it didn't work.

Perhaps it will work in the future but was accidentally retro-posted.

puzzled fish said:
Is this true, because I find tremendous logical difficulties in believing this?

As do I. It's likely either an exaggeration of some minute effect, or the real physics got garbled when it was boiled down to try to explain it to people unfamiliar with science.

puzzled fish said:
In Through the Wormhole Episode no.2 of the 6th series named Can Time Go Backwards

This is not a valid source; even if it's a professor speaking, it's still a pop science video and is not held to the same standards as a textbook or peer-reviewed paper, which are the benchmarks for PF sources.

Also, I can't watch the video anyway, since it's asking me to "sign up with my TV provider".

Based on what information I have, I agree with Drakkith's opinion.

Since the OP is not based on a valid source, this thread is closed. @puzzled fish if you can find a better reference (or at least one that is an article readable online), PM me and I will take a look at it.

[Note: I have also moved this thread to the relativity forum since it is a question about physics.]

1. What is the concept of "alien perception of time"?

The concept of "alien perception of time" refers to how beings from other planets or dimensions may experience and understand the passage of time. It is a theoretical idea that suggests that different species may have varying perceptions of time due to their unique physiology, environment, and evolutionary history.

2. Can time actually go backwards for aliens?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that time can go backwards for any living beings, including aliens. The concept of time moving backwards is often explored in science fiction and theoretical physics, but it remains a hypothetical concept that has not been proven.

3. How would aliens perceive time differently from humans?

It is impossible to know for certain how aliens would perceive time, as we have not yet encountered any extraterrestrial life. However, some theories suggest that they may have a different understanding of the concept of time, which could be influenced by factors such as their biology, technology, and cultural beliefs.

4. Could aliens have the ability to travel through time?

The concept of time travel is highly debated and has not been proven possible. While some theories in physics suggest that time travel may be possible under certain conditions, it is currently considered to be purely theoretical. There is no scientific evidence to suggest that aliens have the ability to travel through time.

5. How could studying alien perception of time benefit humans?

Studying alien perception of time can provide valuable insights into our own understanding of time and its role in the universe. It can also help us broaden our perspectives and challenge our assumptions about the nature of time. Additionally, understanding how other beings perceive time can aid in our potential future communication and interaction with extraterrestrial life.