Aliens - Are they out there?

I'm almost positive that there is more intelligent life somewhere in the universe. I forgot the estimates, but it's something like 100 billion galaxies with each one having around 100 billion stars on average. Umm, 100 billion squared is a large number, and that is the number of stars in the universe. You are telling me that there isn't a planet around at least one other star with intelligent life?

i think this solar system could have been seeded by aliens, who left a satellite with massive storage for 'flight recorders' in our heads and an ai system that trys to learn through us, that or quantum creatures exist. i have a hard time grasping the concept of god. things just don't happen out of nowhere.

don't laugh to hard :redface:

but yes if something out there 'rules us' i guess that would make them/it god? other life forms in the universe most certainly.

Last edited:
I'm almost positive that there is more intelligent life somewhere in the universe. I forgot the estimates, but it's something like 100 billion galaxies with each one having around 100 billion stars on average. Umm, 100 billion squared is a large number, and that is the number of stars in the universe. You are telling me that there isn't a planet around at least one other star with intelligent life?

I assume nothing. Until there is actual EVIDENCE of intelligent life, I won't believe in it. I'm not saying that there isn't any intelligence out there, but there exists 0 evidence thus far. A 4th grader who has ever studied science knows that science relies on facts and theories that are testable. by scientific standards this seems to imply that so far the claim that "there exists intelligent life" seems to be false. the claim that there definitely has to be intelligent life out there is mere speculation, not scientific fact--yet.

Definitely agreeable that there is no scientific evidence to support life elsewhere, and might never be. But from a probabilistic standpoint, I believe that the odds are in favour. Now of course this depends on what you feel are fair numbers for the Drake equation, but you'd have to make them pretty unbelieveably low to come up with no other life at all.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually, there was evidence for life on Mars from the Viking missions, but the concensus was that it was a chemical reaction unrelated to biology. However, there still are scientists who feel that life was found in the seventies.

Also, there is still debate about the Mars rock.

So, although most feel that there are other explanations, we do have two pieces of evidence for life on Mars.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Also, since I'm nitpicking the definitions, we also have plenty of anecdotal evidence of visiting ETs, but we have no scientific evidence to support this. We do have some scientific evidence to support claims that unidentified objects are in our skies at times.

Last edited:
Also, since I'm nitpicking the definitions, we also have plenty of anecdotal evidence of visiting ETs, but we have no scientific evidence to support this. We do have some scientific evidence to support claims that unidentified objects are in our skies at times.

Visiting ETs or super secret government projects like stuff along the lines of the Philadelphia Experiment? Just because there are UFOs doesn't mean it is intelligent life visiting Earth.

Definitely agreeable that there is no scientific evidence to support life elsewhere, and might never be. But from a probabilistic standpoint, I believe that the odds are in favour. Now of course this depends on what you feel are fair numbers for the Drake equation, but you'd have to make them pretty unbelieveably low to come up with no other life at all.

The drake equation is mere speculation at best. As Michael Chriton pefectly put it "The Drake equation cannot be tested and therefore SETI is not science. SETI is unquestionably a religion,". I read the wiki article on the Drake equation, and the criticisms leveled against it expose the enormous flaws of it. Also reading the wiki article for the Drake equation it linked to another article on the "Rare Earth Hypothesis" which was interesting. According to the rare earth hypothesis the number of other planets that exists that have intelligent life could be as low as 0 or 1. Once again it is more speculation, but a constrasting way of thinking.

Actually, there was evidence for life on Mars from the Viking missions, but the concensus was that it was a chemical reaction unrelated to biology. However, there still are scientists who feel that life was found in the seventies.

Also, there is still debate about the Mars rock.

So, although most feel that there are other explanations, we do have two pieces of evidence for life on Mars.

Okay so we found some small microbe on Mars. That is life, but not intelligent life.

you have to ask what makes life intelligent, if it's the ability to adapt than an ameba is just a few jumps from you considering the thought of (big bang for example) an understood timeline of universe.

I don't see how you could call SETI a religion, seeing as all they are doing is testing a hypothesis. It's like calling looking for life at the bottom of the ocean a religion isn't it? I don't get it.

But anyways, I don't think that the Drake equation was ever meant to be tested, for it can never give provable results! The drake equation is just an equation, and can enter in your own parameters for what you think are reasonable estimates for the parameters, and get a theoretical number out of it. Anyone that would say that "Aha! There must be life out there because the Drake equation told me so!" doesn't get it... in my mind. But I think that saying that "The drake equation shows us that we would have to select extremely low probabilities for the parameters of the drake equation to come up with no life at all" is a reasonable and accurate assertion and tells us something about the probability of intelligent life elsewhere.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Visiting ETs or super secret government projects like stuff along the lines of the Philadelphia Experiment? Just because there are UFOs doesn't mean it is intelligent life visiting Earth.

Well, first of all, the notion of visiting ETs is a separate issue from secret government projects, of which there are many, so I'm not sure why you lump the two into one sentence, but as I have already shown above, to say that ET could not be visiting is a faith statement. The opinion is as valid as any other, but it is still a faith statement.

Next, I never said that any UFOs are crafts flown by ET. I said there is evidence for UFOs. In fact, I was making the dinstinction between anecdotal evidence, which is often considered legal evidence, and scientific evidence, which requires a measurement. And unlike the Phili experiment story, we certainly have reams of anecdotal evidence of ET encouters and of crafts that are seemingly not of this world. But the hard data - the scientific evidence - only tells us that there seems to be things called UFOs - meaning unidentified objects.

The word evidence has been used as if there is only one form of evidence. Also, the statement that there is no evidence for life on Mars confuses the idea of evidence, with that of proof. Or, it assumes that weak evidence is the same as no evidence.

Okay so we found some small microbe on Mars. That is life, but not intelligent life.

I didn't say that it was intelligent life. I was responding to this:
Definitely agreeable that there is no scientific evidence to support life elsewhere, and might never be.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You might find this interesting; from the UFO Napster in S&D.

INFLATION-THEORY IMPLICATIONS FOR EXTRATERRESTRIAL VISITATION
J. Deardorff, B. Haisch, B. Maccabee and H.E. Puthoff
Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, Vol 58, pp. 43-50, 2005.
http://www.ufoskeptic.org/JBIS.pdf

DaveC426913
Gold Member
the claim that there definitely has to be intelligent life out there is mere speculation, not scientific fact--yet.
You state the obvious. I doubt anyone here sees this as anything other than speculation.

You state the obvious. I doubt anyone here sees this as anything other than speculation.

I think it's logical to say life on this planet is not unique, but it's still specualtion.:smile: