Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aliens took them

1. Feb 24, 2004 #1
    My socks. Sometimes, when I wash my clothes, I find one of my socks are missing. Always a sock. Why? The best I can figure out is that an Alien must have taken them. Where else could they be going?
    I've tried to figure it out but evidently there are invisible Aliens that are in peoples homes and they are taking our socks, one by one. Maybe it is a game of "scavenger hunt" they are playing among themselves. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2004 #2
    what about those pesky gremlins? Sometimes they steal my socks, my shirts, pants and..... my sanity

4. Feb 24, 2004 #3
    I believe there was a thread around here somewhere that talked about physics-esq theories about how these socks keep dissappearing. Who knows... the sock may have tunneled out of the dryer for all we know.

5. Feb 25, 2004 #4
    or maybe they were eaten by the other clothes!!!

6. Feb 25, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And attempt has already been made to solve the twin socks paradox

7. Feb 25, 2004 #6

Njorl

Science Advisor

I have solved this problem. I was inspired by my wife's pantyhose. I call them "Pantysox" TM (patent pending Njorlco). Yes - they are woven wool sweat socks that go all the way up to your waist and join together. You're guaranteed never to lose one! True, they can get a bit itchy, but the scratching sure is fun!

Njorl

8. Feb 25, 2004 #7
    The sock theory was solved on an episode of South Park. Now everyone knows that the Underware Knomes steal socks while you are sleeping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?