Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aligned allocation and VC++.NET

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    Has anyone else experience the new operator not working correctly for 16-byte aligned data types? I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.

I have a class that has its first component 16 byte-aligned via the "__declspec(align(16))" directive because I am using SSE.

Code (Text):

class Vector {
    public:
    // data members
    union {
    __declspec(align(16)) float comps[4];
    struct {
    float x,y,z,w;
    };
    struct {
    float r, g, b, a;
    };
    struct {
    float yaw, pitch, roll;
    };
    };

When dynamically allocating and array of this class using the new operator, I get an 8 byte-aligned pointer. It needs to be 16 byte-aligned to not crash when using SSE intrinsics.

I have even tried using "__declspec(align(16))" on the pointer and between the "new" and the data type. Example:

Code (Text):

__declspec(align(16)) Vector *tan1 = new __declspec(align(16)) Vector[vertexCount * 2];

I have resorted to using the old C functions _aligned_malloc() and _aligned_free().

This must be a bug with Visual Studio, right? Anyone know of any fixes?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You're probably going to need to post this on a microsoft newsgroup or forum. I'm not familiar with MS specific code. In gcc __attribute__ (aligned(16)) is used.

[edit] This is just a guess, but when using __attribute__ I believe it goes after the allocation statement. Something like this:

float comps[4] __attribute__ (aligned(16));

This might be the same case with __delcspec

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  4. Dec 3, 2005 #3
  5. Feb 19, 2008 #4
  6. Mar 5, 2008 #5

zyh

The help file( CHM ) supplied by intel c++ compiler hase some example on this topic. Also, www.codeproject.com hase some articles to introduce SSE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?