1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aligning optical axis

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    i have two optical lens assemblies performing separate functions individually. Now I want to allign their optical axis .. how do i achieve the alignment?

(actually i want to allign them back to back and ensure that their optical axes are concordant, if not overlaping ,then atleast parallel )

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Optical alignment techniques are not taught as much as they should be. First, each element has at least 4 degrees of freedom: if the propagation direction is 'z', each element can translate in 'x' and 'y', and in addition pitch and yaw rotations. If the assembly is nonaxisymmetric (off-axis parabola, for example) then there is also roll rotation. 'z' translation is not usually considered a degree of freedom, but it can be in some cases.

So the first step is to mount each assembly in a mount that allows independent control of the different degrees of freedom: 2 translation stages and 2 rotation stages. Putting the mount on a rail allows control over the 'z' axis as well. I cannot emphasize enough that taking time and effort to assemble a good mounting rig, with micrometer screws and minimal backlash, will make your life infinitely easier.

Once that is done, alignment is fairly straightforward. If the source is a laser, the easiest is to simply look at the backreflected spot- when the elements are aligned, the backreflection lies centered on the output window of the laser.

In general, the idea is to first establish an optical axis - the source is shooting stright down the mechanical axis of a rail, for example, and any folding mirrors maintain the proper propagation axis. Typically this is done with a pair of pinholes. Then insert each element, starting with the element closest to the source, and align it to maintain the optical axis, again using the pinholes.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook