How Do You Solve the Equation 4 Sin x + 2 Cos x = 3 on the Interval [0, 2 Pi]?

• Thread starter Nadime
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker signed up for a math exam in Norway in May and has to self-educate since there are no lessons involved. The exam involves solving the equation 4 sin x + 2 cos x = 3, with a range of x from 0 to 2 pi. The speaker had trouble finding examples of this type of equation in textbooks and got stressed when they saw it in an exam preview. They tried to apply different rules, but with no success. They reached out to a forum for help and ended up solving the equation on their own.
Nadime
Hi, i signed up for a math exam in Norway come may, and i have to educate myself, because there are no lessons involved, only an exam, but here goes;

Its basic, you have an equation; 4 sin x + 2 cos x = 3 x range is [0, 2 pi]

I guess this is basic stuff, so don't laugh, i couldn't find any examples of this kinda equation in my textbooks, and when i found it in an exam preview i got kinda stressed. I tried to apply some of the different rules of pytagoran identities and such, but with no success.

A friend of mine used this forum for his ib studies, and said that most ppl here rock at math and were really friendly as well, so please help me out :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
well, never mind, i solved it myself!

Hi there! Don't worry, we are here to help you out with your math problem. Let's take a look at the equation you provided: 4 sin x + 2 cos x = 3. First, let's rearrange the equation to make it easier to work with: 4 sin x = 3 - 2 cos x. Now, we can use the Pythagorean identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 to rewrite the equation as 4 sin x = 3 - 2(1 - sin^2 x). Simplifying this, we get 4 sin x = 5 - 2 sin^2 x. This is starting to look more manageable! Now, we can move all the terms to one side and factor out sin x to get sin x(2 sin x + 4) = 5. From here, we can divide both sides by (2 sin x + 4) to isolate sin x and get sin x = 5/(2 sin x + 4). Using the given range for x, we can now plug in values for x and solve for sin x. Once we have the value for sin x, we can use the inverse sine function to find x. I hope this helps and good luck on your exam!

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used to answer questions or solve problems in the scientific field. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis through experiments, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

2. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about a phenomenon that can be tested through experiments. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and extensively tested explanation for a natural phenomenon. In simpler terms, a theory is a hypothesis that has been proven to be true through repeated experiments and observations.

3. How do you determine the validity of a scientific study?

There are several factors that contribute to the validity of a scientific study, including the use of a control group, a large and diverse sample size, and the replication of the study by other researchers. Additionally, the study should have a clearly defined hypothesis, a reliable and valid method of data collection, and unbiased analysis of the results.

4. What is peer review and why is it important in the scientific community?

Peer review is the process of evaluating the quality and validity of a research paper by experts in the same field. It is an important aspect of the scientific community as it ensures that only high-quality and reliable studies are published. Through peer review, researchers can receive constructive feedback and improve their work before it is shared with the scientific community.

5. How do scientists communicate their research findings?

Scientists communicate their research findings through various methods, including publishing articles in scientific journals, presenting at conferences, and sharing their work through online platforms. This allows for the dissemination of information and the exchange of ideas within the scientific community, leading to further advancements in the field.