Alkene Diastereomers Lab: Theory & Results

• Thread starter cmantzioros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alkene
In summary: If you have a different interpretation of the results of this experiment, please let me know. In summary, the lab results suggested that the product was maleic acid.
cmantzioros
I did a lab on alkene diastereomers and I'm a bit confused as to what the purpose was. We reacted maleic acid with a temporary carbocation to see whether the product would be maleic acid or fumaric acid. These are alkene diastereomers of each other. My results suggested that the product was maleic acid.

I don't quite understand the theory... the pre-lab question said: "Will one of the alkene diastereomers be formed preferentially from the carbocation? If so, which one is favoured?" ... Can anyone tell me what this means?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand the system you're asking about. I can only assume you made a typo whe you wrote "we reacted maleic acid with a temporary carbocation to see whether the product would be maleic acid or fumaric acid." Could you write out the full reaction? (no need to try including structures, that can be a hassle.)

Just eyeballing the structures, I would say fumaric acid is the more stable one; aside from generally being less stable, the cis conformation (maleic) is more sterically encumbered because of the two functional groups on the same side.

cmantzioros said:
I did a lab on alkene diastereomers and I'm a bit confused as to what the purpose was. We reacted maleic acid with a temporary carbocation to see whether the product would be maleic acid or fumaric acid. These are alkene diastereomers of each other. My results suggested that the product was maleic acid.

I don't quite understand the theory... the pre-lab question said: "Will one of the alkene diastereomers be formed preferentially from the carbocation? If so, which one is favoured?" ... Can anyone tell me what this means?

First, you did not do a lab on alkene diastereomers. You did a lab on geometric isomers (cis/trans). Could you please explain what you mean by "we reacted maleic acid with a temporary cation to see whether the product would be maleic acid or fumaric acid"? When I taught that lab we used an acid catalyst on maleic acid to study the isomerism. It went through a carbocation intermediate but it was not reacted with one.

1. What are diastereomers in the context of alkene?

Diastereomers are a type of stereoisomers in which two or more molecules have the same molecular formula and connectivity, but differ in the spatial arrangement of atoms due to the presence of multiple chiral centers. In alkene diastereomers, the orientation of the substituent groups around the carbon-carbon double bond is different.

2. How are alkene diastereomers different from cis-trans isomers?

Alkene diastereomers are a subset of cis-trans isomers, which only apply to molecules with a single carbon-carbon double bond. Diastereomers, on the other hand, can have multiple stereocenters and are not necessarily restricted to cis or trans configurations.

3. What is the purpose of the "Alkene Diastereomers Lab"?

The purpose of this lab is to demonstrate the concept of diastereomers in alkene molecules through a series of experiments involving the synthesis and characterization of different diastereomeric compounds.

4. How are diastereomers identified in the lab?

In the lab, diastereomers are identified through a combination of physical and chemical properties. This includes comparing the melting points, boiling points, and solubility of the two diastereomers, as well as using spectroscopic techniques such as NMR and IR to analyze their structural differences.

5. What are some potential applications of studying alkene diastereomers?

Studying alkene diastereomers can have practical applications in the fields of pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and materials science. Understanding the relationship between the structure and properties of diastereomers can help in the development of more efficient and selective drugs, pesticides, and materials.